Skip to main content

It's my birthday - living life with purpose

 

Today is my 41st birthday. I'll admit that I had a very hard time with turning 40 but now that I'm 41, I'm ok with being out of my 30's. 

I remember moments of my chilhood as if it happened yesterday. Playing outside with my neighborhood friends, taking road trips with my family and staying up late during sleepovers. High school and college had a lot of highs and lows but I remember specific moments as if they happened yesterday. 

As I reflect on all these memories at the age of 41, I realize how fast life is flying by. Sadly, I am also reminded of this quick passing of time because my dad lost his 10-month fight with cancer on May 28th, 2014 - four days before my 32nd birthday. For the past 9 years, my birthday month brings me back to the hardest day of my life and the passing of my dad reminds me that tomorrow isn't promised. 

My dad always told me that 'it's not the years in your life that count but the life in your years." 

My birth day always makes me think really hard about how I am living life. My birthday makes me think about life and death. 

When a person has a health-related fatal accident doing something he/she loves, it's not viewed as a tragedy. But when the person has a fatal accident due to an outside factor, it's viewed as a tragic way to die and can make you think twice about how you are living your life. The purpose of life is to live it to the fullest. 

I'm reminded of a quote that reads "Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live." - Natalie Babbitt

I've heard that the 40's are the most unhappy period of life. I'm not letting this statistic get into my head. My 30s were hard. I spent most of it without my dad and I worked really really hard building my business. My dad often told me that I needed to get a hobby besides triathlon. Although he was always very proud of me and my triathlon success, he never got to see that I turned my passion into a career. A career that was built on my values, strengths and passions is now allowing me to live a meaningful and purposeful life. 

In celebration of my birthday and living the past 9 years without my dad, here are a few questions to help you live your life with purpose. Remove the fear and worry of what others may think as you answer these questions: 

  1. Is your life aligned with your purpose?
  2. What are your values and beliefs? 
  3. What are your passions?
  4. Who were you born to be? 
  5. How can you help others with your strengths?

Cheers to 41!