Skip to main content

XTRI ICON Race Recap - Pre race and swim

 

1.8 mile SWIM: 56:57
2nd female

Although ICON was only my 2nd XTRI event, I’ve learned that a lot of preparation is needed going into the event (much more so than a normal Ironman). I checked in for the race on Wednesday (race on Friday). Karel (my support) had to be there with me. We checked in our mandatory T3 bags which had to be left with the staff until race day. Inside, each bag was required to have; headlamp, shirt, pants, gloves, hat, waterproof jacket with hood. On Thursday we attended the mandatory English race briefing at 4pm. We were notified that the swim would be shortened from 2.4 miles to 1.8 miles due the combination of the air and water temperature.

I was extremely nervous on Thursday. Karel suggested that we swim at the pool as that is a happy place for me. He was right, I felt so good swimming and it relieved a lot After a 33 minute, ~2200 yard feel good swim at the aquatic center (long course meters), Karel and I went for a short ride to spin the legs. I wanted to see the first part of the bike course so we rode 4 miles (slight uphill) and then turned around. As for the rest of the day, I packed my T1 and T2 bags for the event. The race provided athletes with very nice large zipper bags (black and white) to use for the race. We also received two shirts (tank and shirt) for the support crew, a bib number for the support crew, banquet tickets, a shirt and a large poster with my name and bib number on it to put inside the support crew vehicle.


I prepared 6 bottles, each with INFINIT fructose (some with grape flavor and some with fruit punch flavor). I also prepared a few 10-ounce flasks for the run (each with Never Second C30 berry). I prepared a gel flask with 2 Never Second gels in it and had a bag of other sport nutrition. Karel bought some coke, water, pretzels and bananas at the grocery store (along with food for him and Honza to eat throughout their long day of supporting me). I had a variety of clothing options for the bike and run. I went through all the bags with Karel and he loaded the car with everything so that I could rest.

I didn’t sleep well (as to be expected). I laid in bed from 6:30-7pm and tried to fall asleep around 8pm. It took me over 2 hours to fall asleep as my mind wouldn’t shut off about the race. Once I finally went to sleep, I slept well. When my alarm went off at 3:30am, I woke up feeling rested.

Starting a triathlon at 5am is still an adjustment for me but I feel a bit of relief when I wake up in the morning and know that the day is finally here.  Karel and I went downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast. We were joined by two other athletes (one female and one male) in the seating area. I could feel the nervous energy. The hotel staff got up super early to prepare food and coffee for us. I had a pop tart, banana and yogurt, cup of coffee and water.

After I ate, I went upstairs to change into my swimsuit and put on my warmest pants and hoodie, along with gloves, a hat and warm socks. Karel put my bike in the car and we left the hotel around 4:15am. We drove a few miles to the aquagrande parking lot (pool across from the lake) to park. I walked my bike to the transition area by the lake. There were a few fire pits by the lake and a few lights but otherwise, it was very dark out. The lake was pitch dark. My bike was inspected (front and back lights were required) and I dropped off my bike on the rank in my spot (number 11).

After dropping off my bike, I picked up my chip and GSP transponder outside of the aquagrande building. I went inside the aquagrande center and went to the bathroom one last time. There was no line for the women’s restroom seeing that there were only 10 women competitors. (out of ~112). I put on my swimskin for an added layer, then booties and then my ROKA wetsuit. Karel helped me put on Vaseline as well as AMP lotion. I put on my thermal cap, ICON swim cap and gloves. I made the decision before the race to put my gloves on under my wetsuit (as that is what I had practiced in the recon swim on Wed) but last minute I changed it and had the gloves over my wetsuit. It was a mix for how to wear the gloves (I was looking around) so I wasn’t sure what to do. It was my fault for not practicing with the gloves until race week. Karel inflated my buoy and we turned on the glowsticks and then walked to the lake around 4:45am. 








Karel didn’t want me to get too warm by the fire so I stood there for a minute and then made my way to the transition area when we were all called in there for the race start. We then walked toward the water with the sound similar to heart beats pounding from the speakers. The energy was intense. This was really about to happen. 



My mind was calm and I was ready to get this race started. The air temperature was 32 degrees. The water temperature was 53 degrees. My greatest worry was the cold water as I know that would be my greatest struggle. But I was here to test my limits and to discover my capabilities.


I liked the in-water start as it gave me a chance to acclimate to the water and splash some water down my wetsuit and get my face wet. I didn't love the feeling of the thermal cap around my chin but I didn't mind it. I love my booties keeping my feet warm.

When the race started at 5am, I took my time settling into a rhythm. I knew I needed to take my time easing into an effort. It was a bit chaotic with the mass start but it settled out after a few minutes. But suddenly I found my gloves filled with water. I thought I would be fine but they got so heavy I couldn’t move my arm through the water. I quickly reacted and took off the gloves and put them inside the chest of my wetsuit. The water was so cold on my hands. They felt tingly right away. But I remained calm and thought to myself “at least you can feel the water.” I don’t really like the glove feeling when I swim but I knew it was necessary in these conditions. I had to keep adjusting the gloves in my chest because it was causing some restriction around my neck. Once I got it comfortable, I could finally settle into a rhythm. There were only 3 lighted buoys on the course. One sighting buoy before the turn buoy (left around the buoy) and then one more turn buoy. There was a big light on the shore. It was so hard to gauge how far I had to keep swimming before the turn. I really struggled with the dark conditions and cold water. I found myself by another swimmer which was comforting. I had to keep stopping every now and then as I needed to catch my breathe. Once I finally made the turn buoy, I was so relieved. After the second buoy, I was so happy to finally be heading back to the shore. I couldn’t wait to get this uncomfortable swim overwith. Even though I love swimming and it’s a strength of mine, I feel I’m really challenged in dark and cold conditions (thus my desire to test my limits in these XTRI events). As I was making my way back to the shore, I started to get really cold. My face was numb and my body was shutting down. It was getting harder to take strokes. I was having trouble warming up because my body wouldn’t let me swim hard. I was alone and I kept swimming into sticks which would freak me out. I was so relieved when I finally saw the shore. I felt like I only had a few strokes left in my body before it was ready to shut down.

 

Our friend/athlete Honza (from Czech) was there to help me as I walked from the swim to the T1 tent. I was so cold I could barely move. Karel was in the tent with all my clothes ready for a quick change but what none of us planned for is me developing hypothermia during the swim.


I was shaking uncontrollably and so cold. As Karel dried me off and started to take off my wetsuit, swimskin, booties, cap, goggles and swimsuit, I told him “Karel there is no way I can do this. I am so cold.” After a few minutes, one of the staff came over to me and asked if I was ok. 

Karel said “she will be fine.” Then a few minutes later, a female medic came over and watched me for several minutes. Karel whispered in my ear “you need to stop shaking or else they are not going to let you continue.” Karel was so worried about me but he was also trying to help me. There was a competitor next to me on the bench and he offered Karel some warming lotion for me. I was also offered warm tea so I sipped on that as Karel tried to dress me. My body was so stiff and I felt like my legs would cramp at any moment. Karel had such a hard time dressing me but after a while, he got it done. I could see the other competitors dressing in the tent and everyone looked cold. But what I noticed was that everyone was leaving and I was still in the tent. I couldn’t think for myself so I was just sitting there as Karel took charge and got me dressed in my layers. He even gave me his jacket for one extra layer.

After 28 minutes (and the longest T1 in the race) and one of the last people in the tent, I stopped shaking and was able to slowly walk to my bike. Karel suggested that I just start riding to create some body heat and to just take my time. Anything after this struggle was a bonus so our goal was just get on the bike and see what happens. I walked my bike to the street, got on my bike and started riding. Karel had my computer, course map and lights already turned on for me.  

My mind instantly focused on the bike as I knew I needed to stay present to keep myself safe. I also needed to really focus on my fueling as I knew body expended a lot during that cold swim and in the transition area. I had a Maurten gel before I got on the bike to give me a little more energy before starting my ride since it had been almost 90 minutes since I started the race.

A few miles down the road, Karel and Honza drove up next to me and asked if I was ok. I told Karel (in the passenger seat) that I was getting warm and needed to remove a jacket. It felt so good to finally feel somewhat warm. We made a quick stop in a driveway just outside of the town of Livigno so I could remove Karel’s jacket. Since I was one of the last athletes out of the transition area, I felt a little boost every time I would see or pass another athlete.

As I started to make my way out of town and toward the first mountain pass of the day, I thought to myself “my only goal now is to finish.”




Bike recap coming soon. 

I'll also be sharing a future video discussing my nutrition, gear, equipment and training for each discipline.