Skip to main content

Paris Mountain Climb Junior Challenge

 


Stats: 
Route
72.6 miles
4:07 ride time
6234 feet elevation gain 
17.6 miles average speed 
Paris mountain climb: 13:15 (2.2 miles, 9.9mph,1580 elevation gain)



Sunday was an exciting group ride. Not only was it the final ride of the 2-month Greenville Winter Bike League but it was also the 2nd annual Junior Challenge. At the end of the 72 mile ride, junior riders (up to 18 years old) would battle it up the 2.2 mile Paris Mountain climb to win a prize. There was a payout of $1650, a Woodward GFB3 Single Speed bike (for the male and female junior winner) and a custom made trophy made from a piece of Paris Mountain (made by AJ). The ride was supposed to be on Saturday but it got rained out. Typically, Rocket Revolution have their group ride on Sunday but the GVL WBL ride was moved to Sunday. We have so many amazing cycling groups in our area. So many rides to choose from! 

I started the morning with an easy 2 mile run. I timed it perfectly so that I would be back at my place around 9:40am, quickly change and then get on my bike by 9:50am to make it to the start of the 10am ride at Trailblazer. As I was leaving the garage with my bike, I looked down and realized my bike didn't have a chain on it! Karel was waxing and cleaning our bikes over the weekend and he forgot to put on my chain. Karel was out running so I gave him a call and he walked me through what to get and bring to him. I put my bike on my car rack, got in my car (all dressed in my cycling gear), drove a mile down the road and Karel quickly put on my chain. I made it to the trailblazer parking lot at 10:05am....just as the large group was leaving. I didn't get upset but rather, the endorphins kicked in and after I parked, I took my bike off the rack and started riding hard to try to catch the group. 

Thankfully, the group got stopped at two lights around the Traveler's Rest area so within 2 miles, I was in the group. Whew. Talk about a warm-up! I quickly realized I forgot my gloves at home but thankfully I got myself warm in the warm-up. It was in the 50's and very windy but I dressed well with a base layer, bibs and arm warmers. 




The group was big. I'm guessing around 60+ riders. I've been joining the GVL WBL weekend ride for the past 3 or 4 years and my bike handling skills and overall group riding fitness has improved a lot. I really enjoy this group because there's no big egos and the overall pace is controlled. There are also some "fun" sections where we can race for prizes or points. In this ride there were two "sprint" zones of 3-4 miles. The sections were rolling/hilly but the road was very quiet. I was thinking throughout the entire ride, I don't think we were passed more than 3 times by a car for 72 miles! 

I kinda participated in the first sprint zone toward the end but in the 2nd one, Carley, Debbie, Emily and me had some fun as we turned off Hwy 11 for our sprint zone and Debbie and I pushed each other for the next 3-4 miles. It was tough work but it was fun to be pushed by such a strong and accomplished cyclist like Debbie. Carley and I love to chat as we are riding so it didn't take too long for us to get back into our conversational mode in the group. 

We had a few bathroom stops along the route and a store stop in Landrum at the CVS around mile 31. The next 30+ miles were super windy. It was hard to find the right wheel to stay on depending on where the wind was coming from. 

As we were riding, I couldn't help but think how my confidence on the bike has improved over the years. I was riding on a route that I didn't know too well, with many riders that I didn't know and I was happy, comfortable and confident. I think back to just a few years ago and this situation would have been super scary for me. I really enjoy our cycling community because everyone is very supportive. Everyone loves to be on the bike! Carley and I were talking about how cool it was that there was a handful of 14-17 year olds out on their bikes for 4+ hours!

Surprisingly I felt really good the entire ride. We had done a similiar route to this one a few weeks back and I felt so exhausted and I couldn't wait for it to be over. For this ride, despite having an intense 15-mile long run on Sat and running 2 miles before the ride, I was feeling really good. 

I had two bottles on my bike - each with ~250 calories (one with Flow and one with Gu Roctane) and then I brought two baggies of INFINIT (I only used 1 of them at the refuel stop). I also nibbled on a PB Clif Bar throughout the ride. Prior to my run I had my normal long workout snack of 2 waffles + PB + syrup + granola + yogurt. Before the ride I had 2 powerbar chews. During my run I had a flask of C30 Never Second and a flask of water but I only took a few sips of the flasks. 



As we were getting closer to Paris mountain, I was getting excited to test myself. My PR is ~12:28 (solo) and I wanted to try to get under 13 minutes. I love a challenge and I never want to count myself out. As uncomfortable as it can be to fail, I always want to try. There was only one junior female and 2 other open women. 



Karel did a long run in the morning (~18 miles, up and over and back on Paris Mountain) and then joined us on his bike for the climb up paris mountain. Karel and Carley rode up with those who were not participating in the challenge and I joined Emily and Laura (the junior) for the climb. It would have been nice to be tucked in in a group as it was windy and I knew my legs were tired but it was also fun to be pushed by Laura. She was very strong and after a few minutes she rode away from me. My legs were tired and I could feel them trying to lock up but I managed to work through and finish in 13:15 - Just over my goal of breaking 13 minutes. I won the overall female prize ($30) and a really special trophy that is now one of my favorite all time trophys. 



Me and Carley 


After a chilly descend down Paris, I went back to house, got my run gear on and ran three miles to Trailblazer park to pick up my car. 

It was a great day on two wheels and a great reminder why I love our amazing cycling community.