Skip to main content

Hello from Eidfjord - the Norseman race venue

 


Over the past three days in Rjukan, we saw every part of the run course, as well as T2 (transition from bike to run). With Norseman XTRI being a point to point race, it was really good to spend a few days at the race finish, getting to know the area. I booked two different dates for the same Airbnb in Rjuken (race finish) so that we could return to the same familiar Airbnb as when we arrived to Norway. The owner also allowed us to leave some of our stuff at the place, which was very kind. It seems like everyone knows the Norseman event so the owner was very understanding about our situation. Knowing that we will be super exhausted after the race on the 3rd, it's nice knowing where we will be sleeping that evening. 

I haven't been feeling the best since arriving to Norway. I assume all the mental exhaustion with Campy was wearing me down. Today I felt super tired, despite sleeping almost 9 hours. The sun sets very late here in Norway (after 10pm) which also makes it hard to wind down (or maybe it's because we are watching the Olympics on Peacock with our NordVPN and excited from all the events/sports). 

We packed up the car with our bikes and suitcases and started our 135 mile, 3.5 hour drive. I was really looking forward to this ride because it was the first time that we would be seeing the bike course. Even though we were driving the entire bike course in reverse, it was still really good to experience the climbs, descends, turns and scenery. And wow - the scenery is incredible!! The nature is so beautiful. Although this bike course is very hard with over 10,000 feet of elevation gain in 112 miles, it is spectacular. 

Bike course from Eidfjord to T2. 


Elevation of bike course to T2 to the run and then to the "black shirt" race finish on top of Gaustatoppen. 

We made two stops during our drive. The first stop was at SPAR in Geilo. With Eidfjord being a small town, we loaded up on groceries at a large SPAR grocery store. We then stopped at the Voringfossen waterfall. It was a short hike up to the scenic bridge to enjoy the waterfall below us. Karel got ice cream when we were there. 







We finished our drive through several tunnels - all of which we will bike through on race day (we aren't allowed to bike through tunnels until race day). 

Throughout our entire drive, I was able to recognize certain areas of the course from all the YouTube videos I've watched from the race over the years. 

If you'd like to learn more about the Norseman extreme triathlon history, you can read/hear more here. 

"I did spend some time trying to find this place in Norway, where we could have a fast, typical triathlon event, just like the others. So when it was totally impossible to find that place in Norway, it was quite easy to decide that we should do something completely the opposite of the normal fast, flat, comfortable, warm, nice triathlons! With that idea, it was actually quite easy to find a few alternatives. The best idea was to swim in the Hardangerfjord, because it is not too far north. I thought the water going further north than Hardangerfjord would be too cold. Since I live in the county of Telemark, a couple of hours south of Oslo, I really wanted the race to end at the top of a mountain and the most beautiful mountain in Norway is Mount Gaustatoppen, my home mountain."

When we entered the town of Eijford, we were greeted by a huge cruise ship. I quickly recognized the white host hotel. We couldn't believe how cute of a town it was. Our Airbnb is 0.8 miles from the host hotel and we arrived around 3:45pm (we left our first Airbnb a little after 10am). 

We unloaded our car, ate some food and worked a little before heading down to the public beach/water around 6pm. This was my first time experiencing the glacier fed water and I have been very nervous about the temperature. Although we swam close to shore, I was relieved that it wasn't too cold. But I was shocked to see so many kids and families bathing in the water in only their swimsuits! We clearly don't have Norwegian blood. The water felt like it was in the upper 50's and Karel and I both wore our thermal booties. I received a new thermal wetsuit from Roka and I felt great in the water. There were some warm pockets of water and some really cold pockets. I will continue to try out different neoprene gear options before the race so I am prepared for whatever the water temp will be at 5am on race day. We swam around 1300 meters (with some stops) and then walked back to our Airbnb for dinner and then we watched the Olympics. 
Today was the first day since we arrived that I haven't felt cold - and I could finally wear shorts! The weather was amazing in Eidfjord - in the 60's and sunny! 

There are several Norseman activites this week and we are looking forward to seeing more of this area before the race start on August 3rd. 

Here are some pics from our drive.