Skip to main content

'24 XTRI Norseman Race Report

 

Quick recap
Results
2.4 mile swim: 1:06.03 (3rd female out of the water)
T1: 6:43
111 mile bike (10, 819 feet): 6:43 (6:38 riding time, 9th female)
T2: 2:59
26 mile run (5,709 feet): 5:26.33 (9th female)
Total: 13:23.43

I got my period on race morning. I felt horrible. I jumped off the ferry around 4:45am into 57-degree glacier fed water. I wore a thermal wetsuit, neoprene cap, earplugs, booties and a swimsuit under my wetsuit. The swim started at 5am and was point to point, with one turn buoy, ~800 meters from the finish. With the help of Karel, I transitioned into my cycling gear. The temps were in the upper 40’s. I warmed up during the first 20-mile climb (~4000 feet elevation gain). The next three climbs occurred between 56 and 83 miles and ranged from 2.5-5.5 miles in length, around 6-12% grade. Karel and Honza leaped frogged along the course. There were designated areas for support crews to stop but cars were also allowed to stop anywhere to support athletes, so long as the car was entirely off the road. The final climb was steep and steady for ~5 miles but after the last feed area (24 miles from the finish), the climb continued for another 6 miles. The final 17 miles were net downhill, into headwind. Karel helped me transition into my run gear and I was on my way for 15 miles of gently rolling hills on pavement. Karel and Honza packed up my bike and bike gear and drove the car to various points along the run course to give me nutrition/water. At the base of Zombi hill, I changed shoes and Karel joined me for the rest of the run (mile 15 is when a support crew member can join the athlete for the rest of the race) started a shuffle up a constant grade of 10% for the next 4.2 miles (~2200 feet elevation gain). Once we got to the top of Zombie hill, we reached a check point tent. We made a quick stop and then continued to shuffle another 3 miles up to the mountain checkpoint. I was so excited to be within the 160 athletes allowed to go up the mountain and to finally see and reach that famous wooden gate at the entrance of Gaustatoppen. When we reached this point, Honza was there to give us our mandatory backpacks (and gear inside). He took the shuttle bus to this point as no cars were allowed past the top of Zombie hill. We made the 2-minute mandatory stop for the Norseman staff to check our backpacks and during this time I changed into my trail shoes. We then hiked our way up the rocky and steep Gaustatoppen mountain for another 3 miles and ~2200 feet. I crossed the finish line feeling exhausted, elated and accomplished. I received a blanket and warm tomato soup and bread after I crossed the finish line. After changing into warm clothes, I took the cable car to the bottom of the bottom and Karel and Honza hiked 3-miles back to the shuttle buses. The next day, I received one of 160 black Norseman shirts.



Race morning






As I was getting ready to lay down in bed around 7pm, I told Karel “I’m pretty sure I am going to get my period tomorrow morning.” Karel was very encouraging and said all the right things to keep me relaxed. After a restless night of sleep, my alarm went off at 2:15am and sure enough, I got my period. I felt horrible. I made my way to the kitchen to make coffee but I had to lay down as I was feeling lightheaded. Once I felt better, I ate a package of poptarts and a banana w/ smear of PB. I did some light foam rolling and finished packing the car around 3:15am (point to point race so we had to pack up the entire Airbnb into our car. Karel packed most of the car the night before the race). Karel rode my bike to the race start and Honza drove me in the car. We walked my bike to the transition area. My bike and helmet was inspected by the race staff and a volunteer walked me to my bike rack (#15). I set up my gear in the transition area and we walked to the ferry. I gave Karel a kiss good bye and I felt a sense of relief that the race was finally here. I was so nervous going into this race. I boarded the ferry and it was huge! There were bathrooms and plenty of space to sit on the ground. I could feel the nervous energy. It was still dark outside when the ferry left promptly at 4am. It took ~20 minutes for the ferry to get to the swim start. It didn’t feel like we moved anywhere. As the boat left, I started to put on my wetsuit and booties. I wore gloves to keep my hands warm. The cold water from the fjord started to spray into one side of the boat. I saw several athletes get wet to acclimate to the water but I was worried about getting cold after standing around so I used the water on the ground to wet the inside of my wetsuit around the neck. A voice came over the intercom system and shortly after, the edge of the ferry opened. It was starting to get a bit more light out so it wasn’t completely dark out. I was worried about how cold the water would be 2-miles out from the shore so I was very anxious to get in. I left my morning clothes bag inside the boat w/ my shoes and clothing inside. It was returned to Karel after the swim started when the boat arrived back to shore. When athletes were allowed to enter the water, I made my way to the edge. It was a high jump. My heart sank a bit. The volunteer gave me a squeeze, told me to hold my cap and goggles and directed me where to jump. 3, 2, 1…..jump!

I was so relieved to finally enter the water. I felt the weight of my nerves lift off of me. It took several minutes to swim the 350 yards to the “swim start” where the kayakers were waiting for us. I lined myself up on the left side, further away from the shore. With over 10 minutes to the start, we treaded water and there were several conversations going on between competitors. The mood was positive and there were several laughs. At 5am, the kayakers lifted their paddles and we were off.

For the first time in three XTRI events, I felt really good in the water. Although my hands and face were a little cold, I felt very comfortable. It was getting a little brighter and I was really enjoying swimming in the fresh, clean waters of Eidjford.
With only one buoy on the course, I followed other swimmers with hopes that everyone was going the same direction. It was rather easy to stay on course as we swam close to the shore. I was worried that the swim would feel long until I spotted the turn buoy so I kept my mind focused by counting my strokes. I wasn’t able to stay with the lead group but I could see them just ahead. There were a few swimmers right behind me (one that was annoyingly tapping my feet for most of the swim). I was surprised how quick the swim went by. When we got to the turn buoy and turned left around it, the final 800 meters went by really quickly. The volunteers helped me out of the water (the ground was rocky so I was thankful to have my booties on) and I met Karel in the transition area. Although my face and hands were cold, I wasn’t shivering too much. I exited third female and 16th overall. Although the swim times were slow (I didn’t wear a watch in the swim so I am not sure of the exact swim distance), I was happy with where I placed in the swim.



T1
I decided to wear a swimsuit over my sports bra so that I could put on a dry race kit. I was really worried about feeling cold to start the bike. The sports bra is always hard to put on wet so I had an emergency space blanket available if I wanted to stuff it down my sports bra. I opted to put a pack of “hot hands” down my sports bra to help warm me up. I sipped on hot tea that Karel brought me (I put warming oil on my body in the ferry before putting on my wetsuit which I think also helped), went pee in the bushes by transition and then put on my socks, shoes, helmet, etc.

Bike








We reverse drove the bike course as we went from Rjukan to Eidjford . I studied the bike course in great detail and I reviewed previous bike times. The bike course can be broken down into several segments.

-0-26 miles: Constant climb on primarily old roads (narrow roads, several tunnels), ~4100 feet elevation gain. No support is allowed for the first 24 miles.
-26-56 miles: Net downhill to the town of Geilo.
-56-59 miles: Climb (~5% grade)
-59-64 miles: Descend
-64-67 miles: Climb (~6% grade)
-67-70 miles: Descend (fast!)
-70-76 miles: Climb (~3% grade)
-76-83 miles: Descend
-83-93 miles: Climb (miles 83-87 ~7-10% grade)
-93-111 miles: Net downhill to Austbygde (T2) – no support allowed

For nutrition, I consumed 5 bottles, each with ~75g carbs from INFINIT Fructose. I had all of my nutrition in individual baggies so that it was easy for Karel to fill my bottles with powder and add water (which we bought from the store). I had a few sips of Ketones throughout the bike (yuck!) which helps with my clarity and focus during these extreme tri events. I nibbled on a Clif Bar throughout the bike. I peed several times (once on the side of the road and the rest while riding). I was very comfortable on the bike with my arm warmers and gloves. A few miles after leaving the town of Geilo, my right aero bar arm pad flew off (it got stuck to my elbow from the sugar from my sport drink). It was so uncomfortable to put my forearm on the hard carbon plate. I told Karel during the climb and shortly after, I stopped for a few minutes so he could fix it with a sock that he taped to the plate. We laughed about it as he was taping it. This stop, along with a pee stop, were my only stops. Karel would hand me my nutrition as I was riding (he would stand on the side of the road, text me to let me know where he was, I would see the text on my bike computer and he would hand me whatever I needed). Cars were not allowed to follow athletes or hand anything to athletes while the car was moving. I always had ½ bottle water and a bottle of sport drink on my bike. After he fixed my aero pad with a sock, I gave him my yellow vest (which we were required to wear until it was safe to remove), gloves and arm warmers as I was feeling warm. The temp got into the upper 50’s and it was cloudy and windy. I did not feel great on the bike but not terrible. It wasn’t my normal riding style. I passed several ladies in the first two hours of the bike (who passed me in transition) but they passed me back later on. This was atypical of me as I can usually get stronger as the bike goes on but I felt like I only had one effort and it was steady but not strong. I didn’t have any low moments and I never felt like the bike route was “too hard” or “too long.” It actually went by rather quickly and I didn’t find it too challenging. I just didn’t feel like myself – for a variety of reasons. I really enjoyed the downhills and surprisingly I felt the best in the aero position (which is strange because I don’t ride my tri bike a lot outside due to prior hip issues which I’ve been able to keep away since 2019 thanks to training on all types of bikes and not just my tri bike outside). The tri bike was the right bike for this course but I would have had more fun on my road bike for the climbs. There were a few tight fast switchbacks on the bike but the tri bike was fine for them.

T2


I entered T2 in the top ten for females. I was really worried about the run as the entire run was point to point but the first 15 miles were going to feel long to get to Zombie hill. I had an option to change my kit into running gear but I kept on my tri kit and put on my New Balance Fuel Cell running shoes. I wore my Naked hydration band and kept two flasks in my belt – 1 with ¾ scoop Never Second (~25g carbs) and 1 with plain water. Karel collected by bike and bike gear as I made my way across the grass and on to the road.

Run





The first few miles were a bit rough. It took me a good 20 minutes to find my form and rhythm. I had a quick bathroom break around 30 minutes into the run (in a field) and shortly after, I started to feel my stride. I told Karel “I found my flow!” Karel and Honza would drive ~2 miles ahead and wait for me and hand me whatever I needed. I was feeling a little warm so having plain water for cooling and sipping was helpful. I felt really good until mile 10 but then it got really hard. My right glute started to feel right tight and I was feeling tired. I stayed focused and kept myself moving until the base of zombie hill. Although it was really pretty to run by the water, I didn’t love the first 15 miles as it just felt long. At 15 miles, Karel met me at the base of Zombie hill. I changed into my Saucony shoes as they give me a bit more bounce for hills. I was feeling really stiff when I changed shoes but as soon as Karel and I started running, I felt so much better shuffling up Zombie hill. It actually felt better than running on the flat. My goal was to shuffle as long as possible and Karel was super encouraging and positive. I loved having him there with me. He made me laugh several times and it was so good to be with him. When I started Zombie hill there was a girl that was right behind me as I was changing my shoes but I was able to get ahead by shuffling up the hill. I am not a fast walker so by shuffling I was able to keep my pace under 15 min/miles which is much faster than walking 20+ min/miles. We’ve learned through each extreme tri that moving your legs as fast as you can, even if it’s a shuffle for a few steps is still faster than just walking.
Karel carried my flasks in his hydration belt and he also had his own nutrition along with a small backpack of more nutrition if we needed it. Honza drove past us after the first switchback and we told him we didn’t need anything. He was great with giving me cheers. It really helped to have two support crew members. Honza parked the car at the top of Zombie hill and took the shuttle to the base of the mountain. It took 1 hour and 3 minutes to go 4.37 miles at an average grade of ~10% (~2200 feet). We made a quick stop at the checkpoint and I was in the 50s overall (top 160 get a black shirt and can finish at the top of Gaustatoppen. It took us almost 40 minutes to go another 3 miles to the base of the mountain. 




At this point my legs were screaming at me. When we got to the last checkpoint at the base of the mountain, Honza gave us our backpacks and I changed into my trail shoes. Honza was able to follow us up the mountain. Support crew is not allowed to go ahead of the athlete (or pace in any way) so Karel stayed behind me and helped me navigate (he ran/hiked the mountain a few days prior which helped us become more familiar with the course). I kept myself moving up the mountain and never resorted to a causal walk. I was sitting in 9th place and my goal was top 10 female and I knew there were ladies close behind me. Nearing the last 100 meters, I grabbed Campy’s collar out of my backpack and started to tear up. It  had been 9 days since we said good bye and it was so hard to hold his collar in my hand. But I wanted to feel his presence and it was something I looked forward to the entire race. It was my reason for continuing during the really rough patches of the run.

I walked up the steps that I’ve seen in so many Norseman Youtube videos and crossed the finish line feeling accomplished and exhausted. I gave Karel a big hug and we both started crying. It was a very emotional finish as we both overcame so much to get to that finish line. A week prior, we didn’t even want to travel to Norway as the pain of losing Campy was so exhausting. I feel really proud of what I was able to do, even though it was incredibly hard – mentally and physically.




After crossing the finish line in 13 hours and 23 minutes, I was given a blanket and then a warm bowl of vegetarian tomato soup and bread (soooo good). We went inside the building and I changed into warm clothing. There was a long line for spectators to get down on the cable car so the race encouraged support crew to hike back down the mountain. Karel and Honza hiked the 3 miles back down the mountain and I took the cable car (athletes had priority which was good since the cable car was tiny!) It was fun to sit in the car with a few other guys and chat about our races.

When I exited the building, it was cold and rainy! The weather changed so quickly. We got super lucky with the weather all day. I didn’t consider the course to be hard (ICON was much more difficult) but with bad weather, it could be really extreme!

I took the shuttle to the host hotel and then walked a mile back to our Airbnb. Karel and Honza met me there when they returned to the car and drove back to the Airbnb.

The next day I received my black finisher shirt and took the group photo.


I am really proud of this shirt and I’ll never forget this incredible race experience. The race crew was extremely professional, helpful and supportive. The Norway community was amazing - there were so many people outside their houses cheering for the athletes. 



And a BIG thank you to the best support crew!