Skip to main content

Getting back to Normal


Things are slowing down and after Karel's crash, I kinda feel like everything is going to be ok again. We've met with a lawyer, doctor and several other helpful people to keep us positive with Karel's injury. Karel and I are in no way money hungry and we live a very simple life so we just want the court case to be as fair as possible. Well, we do spend lots of money on our sports but we love it and we'd both rather spend $100+ on something carbon for our bikes rather than by nice clothes or an expensive electronic gadget. Let's hope fo rth ebest. Karel is in a sling for the next 6 weeks and all our friends have been very generous and kind to Karel. We had dinner last night with about 10 of the Gearlink members at the Old Chicago Pizza restaurant and it was great to see how many people care about Karel. Although Karel is still in pain and his vicodin is slowly running out, we all think he will be out of the sling by mid-june. Hopefully, he can hop on the trainer next week to atleast spin his legs.

Thursday morning I was extremely tired and I hadn't planned on doing anything on thursday besides taking care of Karel. It is amazing how you can change your perspective on life in just an instant. Training wasn't important and I completely forgot aobut the race on the 20th. However, by thursday afternoon I decided that a run was needed to relieve some stress and enjoy the outdoor air. Although the smokey weather has created several unpleasent mornings, I enjoyed the Clearwater air for about an hour and ran up the memorial causeway at 30 minutes of my run. Friday morning was a brick workout and saturday as well. I still feel like i am catching up on sleep, but at least I have one more week to prepare for the race.

Good luck to EVERYONE that is racing this coming weekend at Disney. I am really looking forward to the race and seeing so many familiar faces. I get to see my best guy friends from south florida, my friend Christie who I met at a New Year Eve Day run 2 years ago (and then we ran at Boston together), several people who I coach here in the Tampa Bay area and many other training partners and friends. Karel will be there cheering me on which is great since he rarely gets to see me race. My family will be there and my bro and dad who are in Spain at the moment, will have just enough time to unpack and then head over to Orlando.

Happy mother's day to all the mommies out there!!! This is your day and you probably deserve more. I know my mom deserves a "thank you" every day and a big "I love you" from her daugther at least once a day.