Skip to main content

Sunday's workout leading into Race week!

Sunday was an early morning. Karel headed to San Antonio for his normal sunday ride and I was off to sand key beach to meet a couple triathletes for a swim and a bike on the MPM race course. The swim was good and with the current, I felt fast. Out of the water and onto the bike was good and I biked the course with a couple newbies. I shared tips the entire way for ascending and descending on the bridges...all helpful tips which others have shared with me. I just love seeing the excitement and progression of newbie triathletes. It only takes once to get hooked. Because I didn't have enough money for the meter, I decided to drive home to dunedin and do my long run on the Pinellas trail. I just love running on the trail and seeing all the people along the trail is really encouraging. Also, every couple streets you see a glimpse of the ocean which is really nice. Because I took my time showing the triathletes the course in Clearwater, I didn't start my run until 9:15 am. That wouldn't be so bad if it was a short run after a long bike, but in this instance, I had a 2 hour and 15 minute run in scorching 90+ degree Florida heat!!! Unfortunantly, my fuel belt didn't do the job for keeping me hydrated and I was splashing water on me and refilling my bottles at every water fountain. I was very very hot and I couldn't believe that i covered almost 16 miles in that heat! My black Zoot shorts were covered with salt after the workout and i was cooked for the rest of the day. Once karel got back from his ride, we exchanged a couple stories of how hot we were for our workouts and we were both out for most of the day. We each claimed a couch and snoozed for most of the afternoon. We've been watching the tour everyday which makes for an entertaining evening.
Monday morning was a well-needed recovery day and tuesday morning I swam and did my interval treadmill workout. Tuesday evening I rested and this morning was spin class and 1500 meter easy swim. Tonight will be my last hard workout until the race and I hop to make all the loops with the Gearlink guys for our wed night ride.
I am super excited to race Elite for Morton Plant and race with so many of my friends and familiar faces in the area! Philip Lahaye puts on great races and I know this sold-out event will be great!