Skip to main content

Feeling Flat


I thought this cartoon was pretty appropriate since I am full of excuses right now :)
Karel and I were up at 6am on saturday morning. Waking up to wet roads and misty air outside. As we both got ready to get on our bikes I was thinking about all the things I needed to do this weekend. Hoping to relieve some stress, I was looking forward to ride this morning. Karel is finishing up his recovery week so he was planning on riding with the guys whereas I wanted to do my own thing. Now that I am finally healing w/ my leg I am trying to get in some kind of base training without going ridiculously fast right now. The wind was strong this morning but the air felt nice and cool. I wouldn't call it rain but there was a mist in the air which felt like a light rain. As I was riding I started to blame my slow speed on the wind but when I looked at my rear wheel I noticed I had a flat. My first flat on Blue so it was bound to happen. I called Karel just to let him know what happened and that I was fine changing my tire. But unfortunately I forgot to put my CO2 adapter in my Blue case (from the case on Seduza) so I had to call Karel again to have him bring me the adapter. I was impressed on how quickly I changed the tire and how easy it was (compared to my 650 wheels on seduza) and i just sat and waited for Karel to make his 6 mile trip on his bike to come and get me. Just before karel came, someone stopped and offered his adapter. I didn't get a chance to talk to this person but he told me he was just getting into triathlons (long distance). I wanted to share my excitement with him but I was distracted by the itching feeling on my left ankle. Apparently, as I was sitting and waiting for Karel I was being attacked by ants which were enjoying biting my ankle. So, as I am trying to inflate my tire with my CO2, trying to have a convo w/ a future triathlon friend and trying to get the ants off my shoe, Karel rides up to the scene and asks why my shoes and socks are off. I quickly introduce Karel to Don (the person who stopped), handed off my wheel to Karel to put on my bike while I proudly told Karel I changed my tire...all while doing an itchy-dance to try to get all the ants off my shoes, socks and feet. After the wheel was back on and ants cleared off my foot, Don left and Karel and I headed to meet the group at CVS, hoping that they didn't leave yet (it is now 8:10am). Well, the group decided to take a different route to start the ride so Karel took off solo to try to catch them. I ignored the flat tire/being bitten by ants situation and laughed it off but I just wasn't feeling my bike...once again! Errrr. I rode home and decided that 8:40am was way too early to start a saturday so I drove to the Y and had a solid 7.5 mile run (10 min walk warm-up and warm-down) on the treadmill. For some reason, I feel completely at ease on a treadmill. Even though there are people everywhere, I put on my headphones to my Sony Radio Shack Radio and just get into my zone. Although I didn't get a bike workout in, I got in a good run to release some endorphins before spending my entire saturday studying.
Karel is in San Antonio today braving the cold and wind, while riding the hills with group out there. As for me, I dressed for a bike ride but after walking outside to feel the air, I ended up running (after changing into layers of running gear) instead. 8 mile run (WAHOO!!) followed by a 10 mile spin (BURRRR). At least the running is coming back. Now if only I could get that cycling back into gear and stop feeling so flat all the time. Oh well. Just super happy I am running again!
Have a great day everyone!!!