Skip to main content

Crazy Interval Tuesday!!!!

"Top results are reached only through pain. But eventually you like this pain. You'll find the more difficulties you have on the way, the more you will enjoy your success."

"Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder."

Ask yourself: "Can I give more?". The answer is usually: "Yes".

"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect it’s successful outcome.”

"The goal you set must be challenging. At the same time, it should be realistic and attainable, not impossible to reach. It should be challenging enough to make you stretch, but not so far that you break."

Another Interval Tuesday. 5:30 am I'm making some coffee, mixing my amino's w/ water and checking my email. 10 minutes later I'm out the door to the YMCA. My treadmill calls for me. 10 min. warm-up, feeling great at 7.2. Legs started to feel like i was breaking my stride so I bumped up the speed to fomfortable 7.4mph. Here we go....
8 x .5 mile @ 9 mph (6:40 min/miles) w/ 45 seconds recovery (no running/straddle treadmill). This came to .6 miles every set. Around 7 miles total in 50 minutes and I was beat. I felt like my breathing was controlled, I was sweating like crazy and my legs were feeling good with a little lactate. I felt comfortable until I got the worse cramp in my side at #5. OUCH!!! I ran through it and tried to stretch it out on the recovery. I know that side stiches can be in response to short and shallow breathing or bexhaling when your right foot hits the ground. If you suffer from right side, side stiches, you want to exhale when the left foot strikes the ground. When you exhale as the right foot hits, the liver is dropped and ligaments stretching from diaphragm are pulled, thus promoting a side stich which is usually in the right side. Just a helpful word of advice....however, I still had my cramp. I pulled through the last 3 sets and wow was I hurting. At that point I had the aches and i was getting hot. I muscled them out just like I plan to run at disney 70.3 in less than 30 days. Hoping to break the 5 hour mark for my 70.3 race, I was running like crazy on the treadmill. I tried not to laugh when several older men would come up to me, look at my speed and then confirm how crazy I was. Oh well...there's no stopping this crazy Iron Girl on an interval tuesday. I quickly recovered from my intervals, did a few weights and abdominals and jumped in the pool for a 1000 yard "play in the pool" swim. I just love the water so a 500 swim, 500 pull was just fine for me. The smoothie was just perfect this morning and I am feeling good and refreshed. I'm sure I'll be feeling it all a little later today.
Well, the next few hours will be spent studying for my Biology Lab final at 2pm. One more exam and quiz tomorrow and then time to focus on those finals. Have a great tuesday!

So, I leave with this quote in hopes that you will make it through your intervals....
"Running is like mouthwash; if you can feel the burn, it's working."