Skip to main content

Procrastinating

After a GREAT weekend of training (13 mile run and 20 mile bike on sat. 53 mile ride and 4 mile run on sun) I had a mental breakdown. With 2 exams and a quiz this week and 3 finals next week, my brain is oozing out of my ears. Or, maybe it feel out when I was swimming this morning. Either way, I am stressed beyond belief. Here's my deal..I am not a procrastinator. I have been freaking out about finals for the last 2 weeks, which was the same time I started studying for my finals. I do a little studying everyday because I go to bed early (no later than 10pm) and I wake up early (around 5-5:30). I don't find the time to nap so I rely on a good night's sleep to help me recover from my daily activities. Also, I don't comprehend and retain info if I cram. I have never been a crammer. I was always the one to finish a project the week it is assigned, if it isn't due for several weeks. Maybe that is why i love the long distance training, because I am not one to sign up for a race without many months of training my body to get stronger and faster. Well, I think I get a little overwhelmed with everything because I have 5 bazillion things to do. Articles, nutrition, coaching, writing on my blog (very important to get out my many thoughts in my head), training and showing a little attention to Karel, my friends and family. The school and training have become my lifestyle but with everything else, there are some things which make the days entirely too busy. BUT-I do it because I love it. I have never been the person to just sit around. I am always doing something. My dad always tells me that i need a hobby besides nutrition and training. Well, get me started on a scrap book or making something and I will spend all day doing it. But, it is hard for me to just sit and watch tv or read a book without my mind thinking about everything I need (or want) to do. I think about the future, how I can help more people with nutrition or what I will write about for my next articles. So, if I asked myself if I procrastinate I would have to say NO!
BUT........
How many times have we, as athletes, found ourselves getting to the starting line of a race a little undertrained. Perhaps, a little overtraining. If we would have only taken a few more days of rest, or thought about how many weeks we needed to dedicate to an Ironman, marathon or Olympic distance training plan in order to feel ready to participate or race. When you pay the money for the race why is it after you sign-up that you question if you will have time to properly train. How about procrastinating with an injury. You just want to train and work through it (or being sick) but if you would take the time to rest, rehab and recover for multiple day you would keep getting yourself back to the sick and injured athlete that you don't want to be. There are so many times that we procrastinate with our training. What is another 5 miles on a bike ride going to do if I miss it, or if I don't get to my brick workout this week. Well, if you are competitive and putting pressure on yourself to do well at your A-race, you can't expect to squeeze in all those important and critical workouts during the last 3 weeks of training (or even worse, during taper week).
Then there is nutrition. How many times have you looked at yourself the week before a race and became frustrated that you didn't lose the 5-10 lbs that you wanted to lose for your A-race. A few extra hundred calories everyday didn't dawn on you as you enjoyed your ice cream or pizza after a hard workout, yet cutting out a 100-200 calories everyday for 2 months would have done the trick to get you to your lean and shapely body. Or, you are feeling super strong with all your hard training, yet with 2 weeks to go you think you would do a lot better if you were 5 lbs lighter. Well, starving yourself of useful fuel is not practical or healthy, but 3 months ago you could have started your weight loss endevour and found yourself 15-20 lbs lighter.
I think at times we all procrastinate and don't realize the impact that daily stress can have on our body. Sleep, healthy and calorie controlled nutrition and proper training (and recovery) need to be applied everyday. So, instead of procrastinating. Start TODAY and hold yourself accountable to everything you want to do to get you to where you want to be!
ok...back to my studying :(