Skip to main content

New Stuff!

I'm just about to start my first assignment for my dietetic program. I am taking two classes for 6-weeks and then another 2 classes for 6-weeks. For my nutrition education course I finished my assignment which was a case study using stages of change. I learned how to recognize what stage a person may be in when they are in need of a change. I never thought how useful this info would be within the area of nutrition. For example, some people may know they are in need of a change but are not sure how to make the changes. Some people aren't aware that they have unhealthy habits and are immune to the negative effects of their lifestyle choices. Very interesting how their are Do's and Don'ts of working with someone when trying to help them with their nutrition (or lifestyle). I feel smarter already!
As far as my food science course, I am about to start my lab which involves sensory evaluation and descriptive terms (like taste, sight, flavor, intensity, etc.). I feel like I am on Top Chef as I am reading my book about describing food as velvety, smooth, firm soapy, astringent, rounded, glossy or bitter. The other food science lab is on food preparation. I get to learn measuring techniques and energy transfer. Wow, I am super excited for my classes and this is only the beginning. Aside from having to pay a BIG amount of money for the online school, I totally think my RD will be worth another few semesters of school and an internship.
This morning I did my first Jacksonville group ride. Karel was supposed to ride on the beach for a fast ride starting at 6am but when he woke up at 4:45am to rain, he decided to stay in bed and wake up with me at 6:20am. We had our coffee together and a pre-training snack and we were out the door at 7:15am for the ride. I wasn't nervous for the ride but just a little timid for new roads and new riders. I was happy Karel was there with me but it wasn't too long until our friend James Sweeney and Karel headed to the front of the group (50+ riders!!!!) to pick up the pace. It wasn't too long until I was dropped (as expected...I think the power in my legs is still packed in a box :). Oh well, I was picked up by 5 guys and I still ended up with a great 45-mile ride. The roads were almost car-free (compared to clearwater, I felt like i was riding with no cars) and the scenery was pretty. I actually rode through neighborhoods and not crowded main roads. What a nice change. I got home just as karel was leaving for work (he had to work at the beach store again today) and he told me he won the ride. I asked him what he won and he said nothing :) hehe. I guess Karel and James were pulling the group and I'm sure some of the riders were suffering. I saw a few girls out there who were strong so I'm sure I will get stronger if I keep riding with this group.
Well, better get to my work. I have nutrition write-ups as well, which makes me super excited to get back from my training. Tonight Karel and I are supposed to go to a big party for all the cyclists and triathletes in the area. I hope it doesn't rain (forecast doesn't look good) so that we can meet some new people in our new town.