Skip to main content

I'm back!

Ok, so I didn't go anywhere. Still here in Jacksonville. Do you ever feel like life is like a bunch of puzzle pieces and although a few fit together, you just can't seem to put all the peices together?
Karel and I have good days and bad days. Sometimes it is a good day of budgeting our money and other days it is quite stressful. Then there are days when nothing seems to go right at work and then other days when the days go by fast and without a missed beat. We like to say that when we have few good days in a row, we know something is bound to happen. That is just how life works.
Lately, I have been struggling with my training. This past week was the first week since January 1st that I felt like everything came together. My problem has nothing to do with getting out there and being active (I have no problem with that!) but I have had such a big mental block of getting comfortable with my training. Every workout seems SO long after 2 hours. Now granted, a 2+ hour workout is a long time to train so I understand that I am normal in struggling with those workouts. However, I just get so bored and my mind wanders all over the place.
It was like something just clicked this week and I was successful in all 7 days of my workouts this week (with Mon being an active recovery swim day). This weekend was long and I was so happy that I had 2 great workouts to end the week. I know these workouts are "short" compared to what I will be doing in a few months, but for base training, I am really learning to enjoy the long training sessions as an opportunity to work on my mental state.
Sat was great. Finally I was able to ride without lots of layers and the morning started out at 47 degrees. I met up with the open road group and Karel joined me for the beginning of the ride. I made it about 15 miles until I got dropped at a turn but then took a short cut to catch back up again. Sadly, I got dropped again and decided it was time to do my own thing. It was nice to do the first hour at around 24mph and with a group but it was time for me to do my own thing. The ride went by really fast at 30 miles and I was suprised that I was really enjoying my ride. Of course, my new bike makes me feel fast :) I love having my power tap because it is such a different way to train. I have always liked longer workouts because the focus is more on endurance, rather than speed, and I like having a certain zone of power and HR to keep me consistent.
Before I knew it I was heading home and I finished my ride with 68 miles. 3 hours and 41 minutes later I was back home. Campy greated me at the door (like always) and karel had breakfast ready for me. YUM! The workout wasn't over yet, so I swaped chest straps for my Polar Watch (did I mention I LOVE having my HR monitor back!!) and headed out for the weekly Saturday 3 mile run brick. Finally, 11:55am and I was home for the day! And, it was time to enjoy my breakfast!
As for this morning, I was super tired. Karel got up at 5:30 and I stayed in bed with Campy. However, I didn't do much sleeping for the next hour because Smudla was doing her daily morning "meowing" for food (she gets 5 pieces of food when we feed Campy in the morning. Other than that, she only eats at night). Karel headed to Gainesville with Jeff early this morning for a group ride. From what Karel told me, this isn't any normal ride worth traveling 2 hours for. They are doing a 120 mile group ride which turns into a race near the end. No race fees or t-shirts but just a bunch of guys with lots of speed.
After my toast w/ PB and raisins, I put on my running clothes and headed outside to take Campy for a walk. At 7:30 I was out the door for my run.
I asked Shawn if I could do my 14 mile run again this weekend, since last weekend I was on the treadmill. This morning it was nice and cool outside and I felt good after the first 10 minutes of my run. There is something about those first 10 minutes that always gets to me. I've learned to run 11 minutes before thinking about turning back home. 1 hour and 50 minutes later I was back home and once again, there was Campy, in our 3rd story window, excited to see me.

I think we all have moments where it seems like life isn't coming together like we would wish. Most of all, things do get better and there is always another day. So if it is nutrition, work, training or any other part of your life, look at the little things that make you happy and be sure to focus on the good things..not just the pieces that don't seem to fit together in your puzzle.