Skip to main content

Ramble

Things are good right now. Training is part of my routine, which I am happy about. After 3 weeks of the piriformis syndrome, and excellent results with PT from Libby, I am getting back into the swing of things. I did a long run on sat of 10.5 miles. Not a typical pre-IM training run, but I will take it. I was able to keep a good pace and I only had to stretch from mile 5-10 at the mile mark. I didn't have to walk, which was good. Stretching at each mile was a way for me to not freak myself out that I would hurt myself again. I'm just too afraid to run through anything so I stop myself before anything would start to hurt. Luckily, no pain or discomfort, just a little tightening in my leg...which I am use to.
Biking is going great! For the first time, I am actually excited to push it on the bike at IM. A whole 112 miles to myself and I'm not afraid to be out there, doing my thing. The past two IM's I was so ready to be off my bike and run. With 2 more weeks of training before taper, I hope things keep looking up with my training....since I am doing everything and anything to take good care of myself.

Although IMKY is in my mind, school is quickly coming to an end and I can't wait to be done!!! You would think that the IM training is consuming my life but instead I spend 8-10 hours a day on school-related work and try to squeeze in a few hours of training during the week. As for the weekend, well, I get home rather late in the morning but it is straight to studying and writing papers for the rest of the day. I was totally pooped this weekend with my first long run on sat (with a 20 mile easy 16-17mph spin) and 70 mile bike + 30 min water jog on sun. I could hardly keep my eyes open all day and trying to understand and remember info wasn't easy.

I am realizing that water jogging is much more difficult than I thought it would be. My legs were trashed after my 30 min jog after my bike on Sun. I have been water jogging every other day and land running in between. Let's just say that my legs are getting a workout and I'm not losing fitness from the water jogging! I've actually read many research studies where pre-injured runners water jogged and maintained their VO2 (max oxygen consumption) during the period of no land running. They came back at the same fitness as before the injury. So, I guess there is hope.

I hope everyone enjoyed the tour. What will we watch now??? I guess it is back to my reality shows to clear my mind from my books. My DVR is in overload with so many shows that I have taped but have yet to watch. I guess I will have something to do during my taper in 2 weeks.

For now, my excitement is growing for my dietetic program to be overwith!! I have learned so much and I know the day after class is overwith, I will miss it. I haven't had a break from school in almost a year and a half so I am super excited for a little break before I apply in Sept. for the Mayo Clinic internship.

And for my last ramble, I am super happy for Angela B. (http://angesdrivetotri.blogspot.com/)
Ange was my first nutrition consultation on BeginnerTriathlete when we launched the sport nutrition program. I have worked with her on her daily diet and her training diet. We worked together to prepare her for her first half ironman and then for her first world championships 70.3. Due to her exceptional talent and determination I knew she would do great at IM lake placid, which was yesterday. Ange has a great coach, Jen Harrison (http://www.jenharrison.com/) who helped Ange get her body into IM shape. Drumroll please...Ange qualified for Kona in her first IM and placed 2nd in the 35-39 age group. This mother of 3 boys finished in 10:46!! I'm sure she will post her race report this week and I can't wait to hear all about it. I just love when I can help people reach their dreams and goals. Most of all, when it comes to IM nutrition (which I feel 100% confident about in helping others), there must be an understanding of what your body needs before and during the race but additionally, what you need to do when x-happens. The day before IM Ange and I talked on the phone about the typical IM nutrition-related problems (cramping, bloating, dizziness, bonking) and how to deal with them. I would say that most people suffer from one of those problems (if not all) during an IM but a successful IM performance (regardless of time) comes when you know what to do when those things happen so that you can reach the finish line. Ange told me she had good and bad moments but based on her time, I know she did the right thing. Great job ange!!
And to all the other athletes out there....keep working on your nutrition so you can have a great race day performance!

Back to the books.....