Skip to main content

Big weekend ahead

Tomorrow I have race. Finally..I need to get all this stress out of my system!
2.5 mile ocean swim at Jacksonville beach. I am ready to see where I am at. This worries me a bit because I know I will re-evaluate my training if I don't have a great time but that is what I do. I guess it makes me work harder but the time is running out. If anything, I can look back on all this IM training and feel confident that I did everything I could to stay balanced with my life and get my body strong for an IM.
After the swim I will bike 112 miles. I promised myself that I would never train past 1pm on the weekend. That's just too much time to be out doing the "tri" thing because my mind would be spinning in circles of all of the homework, studying and reports that are due. Plus, I would miss Campy the whole time I was gone. I'm a very hard-working, type A person so I'm always on a schedule, with my to-do lists and I am a huge planner. Ask any of my friends (and Karel) and I'm always thinking of plans in my head. I guess this planning has prevented me from just going with the flow on the weekends and as much as I would love to hang around the beach or play in the pool after a workout, it's more like "how early do I need to get up to be home at X-time to study".
Well folks....my school days are coming to an end and tomorrow I give myself permission to be a triathlete.
Hoping that the rain holds off (since it rains everyday here from 3-5pm), I am looking forward to IM training at its finest. I've never done 2/3rds of an IM in one day but I guess its worth a try. My piriformis syndrome is hardly noticeable and without a lot of patience, ice and stretching I can run again. It's no 7 min mile but to run with pain/discomfort or tightening-up at a 8-8:15 min/mile pace, I'm head over heels about my progress. With 30 days to go and running 3 days a week, I couldn't be more happy with my situation. Still frustrating at times, why it just won't disappear, but every day I have a frustrating thought I just think it could be a lot worse. Libby wasn't able to work on me this week due to her crazy schedule but she is my miracle worker for getting me to where I am now. Also, the strength exercises for my butt and hips have done wonders and I never thought I could feel so strong with a slight injury.
Anyways, back to the workout.
This will be a long morning/afternoon but with all of my homework/assignments/papers/projects turned in for the week (deadline is mon) I can hopefully train with a clear mind. Well, I do have an exam on Mon but I think I'll be fine studying before and after the NBC broadcast of IG Atlanta on Sunday.

I never thought that IM training would be a luxury for me compared to my dietetic program. I am so excited for IMKY I can hardly contain myself. However, I have a feeling in 1 week, when I am finished with my program, all will change. I start taper 1 week from Mon which means that my race is drawing near and even with my third IM, the nerves will be with me until I arrive at the race venue.

Have a great weekend everyone! Don't forget to tune into NBC on Sunday!!
*BTW-Karel is racing in Clermont this weekend. Criterium on sat and road race on Sunday. Good luck Karel!! Stay cool in the crazy Clermont Heat!