Skip to main content

Restaurant-style Salad

I made a quick stop at Big Lots on my way home from interning, in order to pick up a few goodies for our trip to NOLA on Fri. I will not be racing so expect a blank time behind my name if you check the results. I could not be happier with my decision not to race (which was made about 2 weeks ago) and I am really looking forward to a well-needed semi-vaca with my wonderfully, supportive hubby and my furry best friend. Neither one of them have been to NOLA so I am excited for us all to be together. Plus, I am excited to meet new friends and cheer on the many Jacksonville athletes participating in the race.
After my internship is complete, I will go into detail regarding my hip flexor strain that occurred 8 weeks ago. Right now I am trying to save my brain cells for the hospital but it wouldn't be fair of me to not share my injury and rehab with others, in an effort to help you all gain strength and balance with your body. I have been struggling with Rt hip and glute/piriformis pain for the past 3 years, so I have a feeling this injury has been in the making since pre-Kona 2007 (although my recent strain was on the other side). Although I have not ran in 8 weeks, I feel stronger than ever! I guess you can say that this was an injury that I can have a positive attitude about and learn from. After an excruciating Ironman World Championships in 2007, I swore to never do another race as an injured athlete. More than anything, with my philosophy of keeping life balanced, I knew it was important to be a role model to others and not let my training mentality get the best of me. Having a relationship with food has allowed me to enjoy exercise during the past 8 weeks (all while interning) and focus on the weakness's in my body. Because my "injury" occurred secondary to many years of sitting and not having strong glutes, adductors, pelvic structure and lower core (and not to overtraining), I have dedicated the past few weeks to strength training, water jogging, the elliptical, cycling (lower volume and intensity) and stretching. I have to say, as an athlete who has worked very hard to respecting my body and loving myself for who I am and not for a number on a scale, it has been amazing to see my body transform over these past few weeks of no running. My hamstrings and glutes are stronger than ever and because of my aggressive rehab/strength that I designed for myself, I couldn't be more excited for this summer of training and racing. I am really excited to share my glute-activating, hamstring-building, pelvic alignment plan so please bear with me as I hold on to any extra energy that I have during the last few days of my internship.
I am almost certain I can run right now (since I haven't had any pain in my hip/leg for the past 2-3 weeks) but I am taking all the necessary precautions to finish my internship feeling healthy and strong and on a high note as I enter the next chapter in my life. With an upcoming "RD" behind my name after I pass the National Registered Dietitian Exam, I could not be more excited to train for the Ironman World Championships.
While losing the money of a race fee may hurt at first, one can't possible justify a few hundred dollars when you think of the investment of racing with an injury or "trying" to get through a race without the proper training. In my opinion, this is my lifestyle, not my life and there are plenty of future races for me. So long as I can exercise to keep my body and mind healthy and happy, I don't mind losing a race fee if it means not having to pay for MRI's, bone scans, x-rays, rehab (time and money) and above all, living with the feeling for weeks or months (possible a year) that I didn't respect and be patient with my body during a precious time of healing.

Anyways.....
While I was in Big Lots I found a bag of trail mix and noticed the following:
"Kar's Nuts uses only the finest ingredients to make great-tasting snacks. We welcome your comments"

Here's the ingredient list, with the finest ingredients:
Confectionery coating (sugar, vegetable oil (fractionated palm kernel), cocoa (processed with alkali), nonfat milk, whey, lecithin (an emulsifier) and vanillin (an artificial flavor), sugar, coloring (includes blue #2 lake, blue #1 lake, red #40 lake, yellow #6 lake, yellow #6, yellow #5 lake, blue #1), gum arabic, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze (carnauba wax, beeswax, and shellac). Peanuts roasted in peanut and/or cottonseed oil, raisins, sunflower kernels roasted in peanut and/or cottonseed oil, salt.


How about my Restaurant-style Salad....nothing but the finest ingredients:

Romaine lettuce
Grapes
Pineapple chunks
Almonds
Raisins
Sunflower seeds
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Hardboiled egg
Peanuts
Broccoli