Skip to main content

Racing for a reason

I think most triathletes would agree with me when I say that we all race for a reason. Sometimes we don't know the reason when we start a triathlon journey but somewhere down the road, we begin to make goals and find it necessary to make sacrifices in life in order to accomplish those goals. As much as we would all like to live a balanced life 24/7, sometimes we are forced to put certain things on the back-burner in order to accomplish triathlon-related goals.
Over the past 39 weeks I have devoted my life to my dietetic internship. Although I was able to squeeze in a finish at Ironman Wisconsin at the end of my first rotation, I slowly found myself running low on energy when it comes to racing for a reason. As much as I love to train in order to race, I feel it has been necessary to give all my attention and focus to my internship. Sometimes in life you are forced to make decisions and often those decisions come with consequences. But sometimes those decisions come with rewards. I believe that everything in life happens for a reason and for whatever reason, I have been given a great opportunity to be in NOLA with Karel and Campy and try to relax a little. Although I am squeezing in studying at every opportunity I have (quiz tomorrow and final next weekened!), I haven't really thought much about my internship and my busy and tiring days.
Enjoying my time with Karel, as he takes care of the Jacksonville triathletes by fixing up their bikes, is just what I needed. I thought this would be tough to sit on the sidelines and watch a race that I was signed up for, but instead I feel no remorse that I not participating in the race tomorrow. Rather, I am reflecting on the positives in my life, specifically, I'm thinking about my upcoming week.
Rather than spending my energy on a 70.3 race, I am saving my energy for my last 4 days of interning. I feel like my internship has been one big race...a race that has forced me to overcome so many obstacles and at the same time, has forced me to be challenged in so many ways, in order to be a better person. While at first the "race" seemed easy, it certainly got difficult and sometimes I debated the thought of even reaching the long-awaited finish line.

I have such respect for athletes who race for a reason. For everything in life has a reason. Sometimes we don't know the reason and sometimes the reason doesn't display itself for weeks or months, but in the end, we all make sacrifices and overcome obstacles in order to accomplish our goals. Life is a race and I'm so happy to be a participant on a daily basis.