Skip to main content

Should you make a New Year resolution?

As a professional in the health field, I have many credentials behind my name which would make it easy for me to capitalize on the New Year holiday. With all the resolutioners (is that a word?) out there who desire a change in lifestyle habits (but really want a quick fix because 365 days is just too long to keep up with habits that are likely extreme and unrealistic), it would be easy for me to promise you quick results and instruct you on how to reach your resolution within the next few weeks. However, I will not change what I believe in to promise you something that will come quickly when I know it should not be achieved quickly. No matter what you want for 2013 and your resolutions, there is a reason behind your procrastination on not working hard on your goals in 2012 and likely, all will not change on January 1st and be maintained by Dec 31st 2013. Therefore, I will continue to support my philosophy in that life is a journey and that it is best enjoyed when the diet and exercise routine are in complete balance.

Surprisingly, I am not one for resolutions. For the past 365 days, I have been using my blog and Trimarni facebook page to inspire, motivate and educate others to live a more balanced lifestyle. I recently made a few modifications to my website specifically to my nutrition services in order to help better serve our community. I have recently updated my website - feel free to browse around and send me an email if you are interested in my services - at any point in your lifetime. Throughout the past year, I have been able to help so many athletes and fitness enthusiasts reach personal fitness and body composition goals as well as reach finish lines and personal best times. I have reflected on what worked great, what worked okay and what didn't work and I made changes. To me - that is what a New Year is all about. If we can all spend a little time being thankful for a New Year we can be equally thankful that we had the last year. Certainly you can find a few things that you are proud of and with next year being another opportunity to move you closer to your goals and dreams, it is simply another day in your life. While we don't want to think about a deadline in life, we certainly do not want to waste any days here on Earth.

I don't want to confuse, mislead or depress anyone out there so I will start this blog by saying "YES - tomorrow is a great day to start working towards a New Year. Why wait any longer?"

One year ago, I started my own business. Trimarni Coaching and Nutrition, LLC. No surprise- I blogged about it like any other important milestone/experience in my life. As you can guess, this was not an overnight dream-come-true. First, it took 3 years of obtaining my RD credential. Then it took several months of learning how to "own" my own business. Throughout that time, there was a lot of brainstorming as to my vision, short and long term plan, philosophy and focus of my business. I needed to put together the right words to describe the best services that I could offer to others. Services that would allow me to help change the lives of others and in a way that made me feel as if I was being connected with people around the world...people who shared passions and lifestyles, similar to my own or if anything, aspired to reach their own personal goals in life.

I started my business on January 1st, 2012. Talk about a resolution! In the past, I have used the first day of the New Year to reflect on ways that I could be a better person here on Earth. Never have I resolved to let one day be the day when I would start taking better care of my health or being the day when I would start working hard to reach my fitness goals. I have never once considered a "perfect" day to better my diet or exercise routine because those are two very important components of living a healthful lifestyle (certainly I don't need to be a triathlete to be healthy but it is part of my lifestyle and I choose to train for quality, thus keeping my life balanced as a triathlete). I never want one day to pass on by where I disrespect my body when it comes to exercise or the diet. As you know, I don't believe in a perfect way of living so whereas others may consider some of my actions as "bad" or "off-limit", I see it as an occasional day because of all the consistent days that come so naturally for me because of many years of reflecting and resolving.

When it comes to resolutions, resolutions often get confused with goals. Hopefully you want to achieve something by x-date or better yourself in or at something and that is fine to say that that is your New Year resolution...but then what? The main difference is that with goals, you are willing to put in the effort to achieve something and after it is achieved, it is time to move on to something else. A goal is something that requires a process, it requires time. And once it is achieved it will likely enhance your lifestyle. Whether it is a goal or a resolution, likely there is something that you don't have now in your life (or a way of living) but eventually you hope to obtain it or conquer it. When you have a goal, you are ok with not having "it" right now because you are ok with progress. With a resolution, you may find yourself rushing the process because of the pressure you are putting on yourself to start this process today (or Jan 1st).

So then comes another issue with resolutions. The positive is that there is a lot of motivation and commitment on January 1st. Likely, the holidays have left you a little "off" with your eating and exercise routine and certainly there is nothing wrong with that when there are 365 days in a year. Around this time, there is a lot of thinking going on in the brains of humans. Stop smoking, start strength training, start eating "healthy", start sleeping better, start spending more time with friends/family, etc. The thought is there but is it really what you want to be doing? Perhaps you are motivated and this time you really do want to make the changes. But why January 1st? What will it mean to you when you do keep that resolution? If you are doing something that doesn't make you happy, doesn't mean a lot to you or feeling like you are setting that resolution to make others happy, there will be little commitment and motivation in 30 days from now. 4 weeks is a long time to do something that doesn't bring you happiness, contentment and joy. If you are doing something that you are not passionate about, that is ok so long as you are open to the idea that eventually you will become passionate about it and that you hope that it will become something that you enjoy. But if you are trying the same thing and expecting the same "failed" results, there's not question as to why you keep running out of fuel by week 4 of your resolution. Sit down with yourself and search deep inside as to what is most important to you. Expand on your resolution so that January 1st is the motivation you need to get started but in years from now you will not overlook the many days in life that are also great decision making days for changing your lifestyle.

If you ask me, I am super excited for 2013. Another year, with 365 days to be consistent with healthy living and to work towards personal goals. No need to lose focus of your resolution if you are setting one and no need to feel the need to set one. Whether in your business, personal life, activity routine, sport, health or social life, know what outcome expect to receive when you reach your goal(s).

Starting tomorrow, apply yourself to everything you do in life. DO NOT rush the journey. As I say to my athletes, what's the point in a lean body if you can not do anything with it. If you are going to make changes in your life, vow to "do better" at anything that has not worked and trust yourself that your plan of action has a purpose and the actions steps are realistic and maintainable. Be sure you have a great network of social support and surround yourself with people who give you energy and will hold you accountable of your own individual goals (not convincing you to join the masses). Be driven by internal factors, not things in your life that seem like it is the "right thing" to do. If you are investing your energy in a change, consider the intrinsic factors such as enjoying the highs and lows that come with change. Avoid being so focused on the end result that you lose focus on the goal as well as accepting the challenges that come along with change.

Although the New Year can be a great launch to a new way of living or thinking, whatever you are wanting to achieve in 2013 and beyond, there is no reason to ever feel defeated if you promise to yourself that every day has opportunity to be a life-changing day.

Happy New Year!