Skip to main content

Transition triathlon plan - what are your weaknesses?


To be successful in life, you have to live in a successful environment.

For example, if you are changing dietary habits and decide to bring your lunch to work instead of ordering out, your kitchen must have Tupperware.

If you are determined to train for an event in the winter, your must have options as to how you will be consistent with working out in the cold winter months. 

If want to get to bed earlier for a more restful night of rest, you may need to avoid bringing (and using) electronics (ex phones)in your bedroom. 

But most of all, you have to know where you are going in order to understand why you are seeking a change.


Karel and I have worked long and hard and finally.....the 5-week triathlon transition plan is ready!!!

YOU CAN READ ABOUT IT HERE

My life is built on learning from my mistakes and studying successful habits of others. I don't wish to be like others but instead, consider my own goals, needs and lifestyle and figure out the best way to make changes for progress. I like to spend my energy on what works for the masses but also consider those who enjoy thinking outside of the box (but in a safe, ethical and realistic way - thus our "train smart" philosophy has been created from considering a different way of training for endurance events).

The transition plan is a perfect way for any triathlete, runner or fitness enthusiast (who enjoys swimming, biking and running) to learn about his/her own weaknesses within his/her body. Alongside specific nutrition suggestions for each week of the plan, there is a big emphasis on strength training. 


I have experienced years and years of hip/lower back issues. I have also never given up on my quest to better understand my body to keep it in good health as an endurance athlete. As you may know, I was not able to run from Feb until the end of April and had around 10 weeks to prepare myself for IM Lake Placid in July. It was through my determination to focus on myself and to not think about anyone who I felt had it "easy" that I was able to run my way to a PR for 26.2 miles off the bike but also a 10-minute Ironman PR. And 14 weeks later with a healthy body, I had another 6 minute PR in Kona of 10:37. 

This year, I am determined to continue my quest to be the best triathlete I can be, all while continuing to help other athletes (runners and triathletes) and fitness enthusiasts reach their personal fitness, body composition and health goals AND maintain a balanced life. Triathlons are my lifestyle, not my life and I love to race to travel and travel to race. 

Karel and I have started our own transition plan in our training and all of my 2014 athletes will be (or have) starting with a transition phase of training. The goal of the plan is to build a resilient body. A body that can withstand the stress of training. Also, for athletes and fitness enthusiasts who need structure and a purpose for workouts - EVER workout has a specific main set and there is a specific strength/hip circuit every time the plan calls for strength or hip/core work (pictures included). In other words - all you have to do is use your amazing body and make it perform during every workout. 

So even for myself, even the most determined, motivated and well-fueled person can experience a set-back if the body is not strong enough to tolerate a season of training and racing. And even if the set-back could not be prevented, it is still a learning experience.

And this thinking isn't limited to athletes. It's far too common that individuals will move too quickly with exercise when motivation is high or a goal is high on the priority list and without focusing on the smaller things (ex. is your glute medius strong enough to keep you running with good form when you "exercise"? Are you maintaining good flexibility to keep your body from getting tight?)

This plan is years in the making for I have made mistakes along the way and this year I want to be sure I can use my failures to help others identify weaknesses. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I will not be training for any running races this "winter" or triathlon "off season". I am a triathlete and I am a three-sport athlete. I don't want to miss out on this very important time of my periodized training plan to address my weaknesses so that I can work on them. Whatever your sport or fitness routine may be, remember that it is your body that has to make progress and it takes a lot to accept your weaknesses and work on them. Don't wait until it's too late and the regret not focusing on the little things when they really do matter in the bigger picture.

The goal of the plan is to not make you fast, strong or powerful now. The goal is to help you progress consistently with training/exercise so that you can have a successful season (or exercise routine) ahead of you. With a strong, healthy body throughout the season, you will be able to show off your fitness down the road when it counts.

As for now - focus on your weaknesses when no one is watching.

We can't wait to hear what you think of the plan, especially after you finish week 5 and "test" your fitness.

Any questions - send my way. Thank you!
-Marni and Karel 
Trimarni Coaching and Nutrition