Skip to main content

IMFL '06 - remembering my first Ironman


Tomorrow, Ironman Florida will be celebrating it's 21st Ironman event - one of the longest running Ironman events in North America.

Ironman Florida was my very first Ironman. Although it doesn't feel like it was that long ago, it's crazy to think how much our sport has changed since 2006!! I still remember receiving a Popsicle stick with a place on it when I crossed the finish line at local running events!

Because the Trimarni blog didn't exist back in 2006, I never had an opportunity to write a race recap from my first Ironman experience. Luckily, the memories and moments are still fresh in my head - even though it's been 13 years since I crossed my first ever Ironman finish line!!

Going into the event, I was very confident in my fitness as I used a free training plan from the internet and followed it precisely as written. With my recent formal education in Exercise Physiology (Master degree), I felt like my training could not have gone any smoother. I also did a lot of research about fueling for an Ironman and created a binder of articles and information to help me nail the nutrition needed to survive the Ironman distance. But it was a bit scary to think about this daunting task of covering 140.6 miles with my 24-year old body. 



I was a bit naive going into the event because I didn't have any reason (or excuses) for not finishing. I felt like it was a given that I would cross the finish line. Perhaps this stubbornness helped me ease the nerves as much of the race was an unknown. I had never ran 26.2 miles after biking 112 miles. I had never biked after swimming 2.4 miles in the ocean. I had completed the distances separately on different occasions but never consecutively.

I was so excited to have my parents at the event. My dad was a bit concerned about this adventure but he supported me 110%. I also invited my "boyfriend" at the time (Karel) who had little understanding what the Ironman entailed and was fairly certain that I would be one and done. He thought there was no way that I could do more than one of these crazy events.

16 Ironman's later and now Karel has completed 14 Ironmans :) 

The day started off very cold and I was most afraid of the wind (ha - I still have concerns with the wind!). As if the Ironman wasn't hard enough - the wind was howling. I had no idea how the process worked to set up for and to complete an Ironman so I soaked it all in. Still today, I love the experience of showing up to a race and going through all the motions and emotions before the race start. 





Coming from a swimming background, I didn't fear the waves in the swim but also, having no expectations, I had no experience to tell me what would be fast or slow in the ocean at the start of an Ironman. The mass start was very intimidating, even coming from a competitive swimming background.Today, I much prefer a wave start.  I swam 1:07.00 which was good enough for 2nd in the 18-24 age group (out of 13 starters). 



My transition was loooong. I was so cold and I could not stop shivering. It took me 8 minutes to transition from swim to bike because I just couldn't get myself to leave the transition tent. 

Once I got on my bike, the nerves hit me hard. While I had no worries about the swim, biking was not my favorite sport out of the three. I was still a bit scared to clip in and to stay in my aero bars. And the wind! Plus I was cold to start so that made it hard to stay focused. As the miles ticked by, I started to feel more relaxed. I still don't know how I got through the 112 miles in 5 hours and 52 minutes as I was such a beginner with absolutely no cycling skills! Karel (my boyfriend at the time) tried to help me with my biking skills but much of my riding was on a spin bike and a few group and long rides (which were oh-so-scary for me). Thankfully, Karel never gave up on me and not only did he marry me but he helped me become a much stronger and skillful rider. 

It was so much fun to see Karel and my parents on the bike course. Karel studied the course map and took some side streets to surprise me at various times throughout the 112 miles. 


After exiting the transition area in 5th in my age group, I was 1st after the bike. Of course, there was no way to know this during the event as there was no online tracking. It wasn't until Karel counted the girls either ahead or behind me that he could tell me where I was in my age group. With a mass start, that made it easier to know where I was in my age group as everyone started together. 

I had a fairly quick transition in T2 as I was transitioning to my favorite discipline - the run! Yes, I can't believe I can say that I loved running back in 2006. Today, I have such a love/hate relationship with running and it's my least favorite sport of swim/bike/run but I am not giving up on myself as one day, I will learn to love running like I did in 2006. 


The run was everything I thought it would be and more. It had highs and lows and everything between. I passed 87 females on the run and over 250 male athletes! It's crazy to say those stats today as I now run scared knowing that the swim and the bike are my strengths and the run is always a wonder as to what will happen. 

I had all the expected issues - like a port-a-john stop, bonking, tightness, soreness and fatigue but I also had determination, focus and a smile on my face. I also learned some lessons - like if you bring your own can of vegetable soup (because you are a vegetarian) make sure to bring a can that you can physically open...or else you need to pack a can opener!)

Nearing the end of the race, Karel told me I was going to Kona - surprised he even knew what that meant! In response, I told him that I love him (for the first time). I guess the Ironman really does change you! 

I ran 3:48.41 and finished in a time of 11 hours and 50 seconds. Oh so close to breaking 11 hours!



When I crossed the finish line, I couldn't believe what I had done. And the day went by so fast! All that training just for a one day event! My parents were so proud, Karel was in shock and I did something with my body that I had never ever done before.

With no online results, I discovered my results posted on a printed piece of paper stuck to a wall near the finish line. After watching the final hour of finishers and then having a very restless night of sleep (with lots of nighttime munchies), it wasn't until the next morning that I found out that I had qualified for the Ironman World Championship. I can't remember the price exactly but I think it was between $500-600. I do know that I didn't have that type of money at 24 so I think my parents helped me pay for it (by check). Thanks mom and dad for helping me achieve my dreams! 




It was a very special experience to receive my Kona slot from Heather Furr,. I was given two certificates for finishing the race (and qualifying for Kona). And to then attend the awards ceremony knowing that I was going to the Ironman World Championship in 2007! As the age group winner, I received a plaque, Timex watch and I something else (I can't remember - maybe socks?)


My first Ironman was a day to remember. While everything went well for my first Ironman, I can't say the same for the next 15. Over the years, I've had to overcome a lot. While there have been incredible results (like finishing Ironman Chattanooga in 2007 as the overall amateur female and qualifying for Kona another 6 times and taking 5 of those slots), it's the tough moments that have made me a smarter, more grateful and more experienced athlete. 



To those racing IMFL, enjoy your special day. And no matter what happens on race day, celebrate the gift of being able to do something incredible and amazing with your body. Never take the present moment for granted! And don't forget to thank your body!