Skip to main content

Our 2019 Year in Review


When looking back at the past 12 months, we have had our share of highs and lows. Memories were made and tears were shed. With every high, there seemed to be a low. But through it all, we tried to stay positive and optimistic.

Life can be difficult, unfair and tough to understand. If I had to use a word to describe our 2019, it would be strength. We had to find strength to experience the highs and we had to find strength to get through the lows. Triathlon provides us with many life lessons but in 2019, life hit us hard. Throughout the year, there were several occassions when our hobby of triathlon was put to the aside in order to deal better with the hard times.

As athletes, it can be difficult to stay positive, hopeful and focused during stressful, sad or difficult situations. Uncomfortable feelings can leave us with doubt, anger and anxiety. Struggle to balance stressors appropriately and health (mental or physical), joy for sport and motivation can quickly diminish. There were times throughout the year where it was difficult to start a workout. There were even times when we debated about not starting a few of our races. With each workout or race, our strength was tested. And life presented us with a lot of moments to see how strong we really are. 


NOVEMBER '18

After a unfortunante mishap with Karel's electronic shifting at IM Kona, he finished off his racing season at IMFL, securing his slot to Kona for 2019. This meant that both of us were already qualified for the 2019 IM World Championship (my 5th and Karel's 4th time racing on the big island). Karel was emotionally and physically destroyed after racing two Ironman events within 2 weeks but he was excited and hopefully for the upcoming triathlon season.

After a long time thinking about the idea of working one-on-one with a coach, we decided on Cait Snow, who works under Julie Dibens. This was a very costly investment for us but we were all-in to see if we could squeeze out any performance improvements at IM Kona - which was our big goal for the season. Although Karel received training from PPF, he was never coached one on one. I have never had a coach - instead, Karel has "coached" me over the past 10+ years. Although we learned that our own coaching style works really well for us and we will be returning back to coaching ourselves in 2020, we learned so much from working with Cait (and Julie) and we both were able to squeeze out some best ever performances. Plus, Cait is an incredibly kind, knowledgable and awesome person and we feel so honored to have had the opportunity to work with her. Throughout the year, we made a lot of investments - not sacrifices. We stayed true to our own beliefs so that we never compromised on what was most important to us. In other words, although we were "all in" with our coaching, our health, coaching business, camps and other services (private camps, RETUL Bike fits, nutrition consultations) never took a back seat. If anything, we often had to put our own training to the side.


DECEMBER '18

In late December, just a few days before one of our athletes arrived to spend a few days with us for some training, I was taking Campy for a walk up the street in our (very safe) neighborhood and a lady with four rescue dogs (all big dogs), got loose from the leash as she was walking into her house. The dog approached Campy and as she walked over with her other dogs to get the loose dog, the dogs got anxious and one of them attacked Campy. The lady felt extremely upset about the situation. The next day, Campy was rushed to our local vet and he received several stitches. Campy was a fighter and recovered really well. He still gets a little timid when he walks by the house where the attack happened. The lady with the dogs wanted to pay the vet bill but we declined. We knew it was an accident and we have seen the dogs behave very well around kids and other adults. Instead, she gave Campy a bag full of plush toys with squeakers - which made Campy oh so happy. 

JANUARY '19
To give back to our local triathlon community and to help grow the sport of triathlon, I put together an event to help acknowledge and promote the local businesses, coaches and professionals in our triathlon community. Tri Night was a huge success!

As for racing, Karel participated in a local 5K and ran a speedy low 17 minutes.

FEBRUARY '19
To escape the cold and dreary days, we traveled down south to Clermont, Florida for a train-cation. Although it was not all rainbows and sunshine, it was still a nice change of training environment. I was really proud of my body and what it was able to accomplish during our mini training camp as I felt like my previous training was really paying off. It was still early season but I was getting more excited to get into race season.

Karel also participated in a local half marathon race and ran a speedy 1:15! Because of my previous hip/glute/back issues, I opted not to do this race since it was a "flat" run course and I am better suited for hills and strength-based running. 


MARCH '19
Our annual March camp was a great success. We had a wonderful mix of new and familiar faces. We lucked out with great weather and the group worked really well together - there was no shortage of laughs, support and teamwork.

Not too long before our camp, we received news that one of our local athlete (and friend) had took his own life due to mental health struggles. This news was really difficult for us, several of our athletes and lots of people in our local triathlon community. We have always stressed the importance of health before performance as part of our coaching philosophy - physical health and mental health. We continue to honor this athlete when we train and race, remembering that life can be difficult and there is no shame in taking care of your mental health. Because mental health is not something that can be "seen", never be afraid to ask someone if they are OK, if they need a listening ear or if they need help. 


APRIL '19
Finally, it was time to race! We love starting our our racing season in Haines City, FL for IM 70.3 FL. The race venue is very spectator friendly and the atmosphere is alwas fun. Typically, the weather is warm which is a nice change from the colder temps over the winter. The Trimarni triathlon club placed 2nd in the Triclub division and Karel and I both did OK. I say OK because neither of us felt great on the course but then again, it's really early in the season and we were not targeting this race as a best-ever performance type of race.

A few days after the race, I received an email from the publishing company that asked me to write my first book (Essential Sports Nutrition) and I was asked to write another book. This time, a Running Journal. I discussed this with Karel as my last book took over all of my time and energy as it was my very first book and I wanted to give it 100% of my attention. This time around, I wanted to keep up with our other obligations of private training camps, nutrition consults and coaching. After reviewing the contract and writing timeline, I signed the contract for my second book - The 365 Day Running Journal. 

Then, about a week later, I received another email from my contact at the Callisto Media Publishing Company and I was asked to write another book! I couldn't believe it. This book was a lot more in depth and required a lot more words than the 2nd book. I knew this book would be a huge undertaking but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. Karel was a little worried of how I would balance everything but after sleeping on it, I signed the contract for my 3rd book - which I would start writing a few weeks after completing the journal book. I am not one to "wait" for the right time to do something. Although I never want to overload myself or burn myself out, I feel it's important to balance my career with my passion so that I can make the most out of every day of life.

And with highs, come lows. Nearing the end of April, we realized that our 16-year old cat Smudla was nearing her final days. We made the very difficult and heart-breaking decision to let her pass away comfortably and humanely. Because we made this decision a few days in advance, we were able to spend almost 48 hours with Smudla as she enjoyed her last few days in the warm sunshine. If you'd like to read the tribute I wrote about Smudla, here it is. 

MAY '19
May started off tough as Karel didn't feel like he was in the right state of mind to travel alone to St. George for the half Ironman. Luckily, Karel was sharing a house with two of our athletes, which helped him keep his mind off the passing of Smudla. It was still a very emotional week for him, filled with a lot of sad tears. Karel was able to put together a fantastic race and he was happy that he was able to temporaril turn his mind off - away from sadness - so that he could do something that he loved with his body and mind.

February through June is often super busy with private coaching sessions and this year we found ourselves extremely busy with a lot of private camps. We love this part of our coaching business but it does require a lot of time, mental energy and focus. Thankfully, we always have super awesome athletes to work with ;)

In mid May, we traveled over to Chattanooga for the 70.3. It was great to see so many of our athletes at the race and we ended up receiving an award for the TriClub division! I felt like my race did not go so well but Karel put together a fantastic performance - he was on a roll! The competition was stiff for the females and it was great to see so many speedy ladies blazzing on the course.

May is always a tough month for me as my dad passed away from cancer in 2014, just three days before my 32nd birthday. I thought that time would heal but I still find myself really missing him - especially as I go through so many highs and lows in life. But in the spirit of my dad, I try to smile and find the positive in every situation. Most of all, I am making the most of every day on earth - in his honor. 




We had a lovely mid season break where we did litte triathlon training and took part in some outdoor activities. Campy had joined us at our last two races (FL and Chatt) so he was also ready for some recovery. 

JUNE '19
I found myself a bit overwhelmed in June - trying to balance the planning of our June camp, private camps, nutrition consults, Ironman training and writing my 3rd book. I managed to participate in an open water race (with my swim partner Kristen and Karel) which was a nice stress relief to be swimming in the mountains.

Eventually, I had to ask my editor if I could have a break from the writing - I was in a mega writing block where I would sit at my computer for hours and nothing would happen. Thankfully they agreed but I still had a tight deadline to finish the book by the end of September - my deadline was the day before our flight to Kona for the World Championship.

Our June endurance camp was another great success and our campers worked very hard and accomplished so much. It was also very hot! Although our camps are fun, educational and inspiring, they are always mentally and physically exhausting for me and Karel. We sure do love putting on camps but it's a ton of work! 


JULY '19
Shortly after camp, I found myself dealing with a hip/glute/back injury - something that is not new for me. Although I have not been injured in over 6 years, I do feel like I am always "on edge" and cognizant of my hips/glutes when running. I feel like this injury started from a lot of sitting, stress and poor posture and was simply exaccerbated (not caused) from running. Thankfully, I was able to still run and bike (of long duration and at high intensity) without any pain so I was still able to train for Ironman Canada. While I tried really hard to not let my situation affect Karel, I knew he was sad for me. The great thing about this race was that I knew I could put together a really strong swim and run and anything extra was just a bonus (and a big uncertainty). On race day, I finished the bike as 1st overall amateur but that position quickly went away as I managed the marathon run. But our athlete Ericka won the amateur race, which was super exciting. And we had so many incredible performances by our athletes. Somehow I managed to finish the race and not do further damage. We enjoyed beautiful Whistler and Karel put together an incredible performance by winning his AG with a best ever IM run of 3:04! 



AUGUST '19
After returning home from Canada, we finished off a well-needed recovery week before easing back into our training. I still couldn't run but had plenty of swimming, biking, water jogging and strength to keep me busy. Plus, I was deep into writing my 3rd book with a deadline of the end of September.

Just as we were about to get back int structured training after IM Canada, I was snuggling with Campy in bed and he scratched my cornea in my eye. Without being dramatic, this was extremely excrutiating - I couldn't be in any room (or outside) with light, I had to wear sunglasses everywhere, I couldn't drive and I had a constant headache. I found myself sleeping a lot and I wasn't able to gather much energy to exercise. I had to see the eye doctor every other day for about ten days. Finally, some relief. Just as I was getting better, Karel traveled up to Mt. Tremblant to support our athletes racing (and to do some translating for one of our Czech athletes). Our athletes did great and our Czech athlete won his age group (45-49) and qualified for Kona!

Near the end of the month, I heard the sad news that a triathlon friend passed away unexepectedly, which was incredible sad for the entire triathlon community. 


SEPTEMBER '19
Once it seemed like life was starting to calm down and we were able to get back into a good routine, we decided to get two rescue kittens to bring some love and happiness into our family. Although Karel was still grieving over the loss of Smudla, he felt ready to grow our furry family. We welcomed Felix and Ella into our family but sadly, Felix passed away 6 days later from Pneumonia. Ella was a fighter and although she got our other cat Madison sick a few times (and Ella had to be taken to the vet for a few emergency situations over the next two months), she is now living her best life and is officially part of our family. Here is the story about Ella. 
The day after we welcomed Felix and Ella into our home, I received news that my (almost) 96 year old Grandpa Joe passed away. I took a booked a flight for a quick trip up to Ft. Wayne Indiana for a memorial service that my aunt threw together last minute. I arrived Tues and flew home early Thurs morning. Then on Saturday evening, Felix passed away. Needless to say, training had a backseat all that week and we were emotionally wreaked.

Karel celebrated his 43rd birthday near the end of September and for his present, I asked a bunch of people who know Karel to write a note for him. I gave him this "gratitude" journal filled with over 80 notes from so many people who love and care about Karel. With such a tough month, he had a moment of joy reading the notes and learning how much people cared for and appreciated him. 


A few days later, we (last-minute) flew in Karel's mom to help take care of Ella, Campy and Madison while we spent 2 weeks in Kona. At one point in September, we couldn't even think about racing as we were just so empty and mentally depleted from everything that had gone on over the past few months. Life certainly happened and it was tough.  We didn't want to count ourselves out of the race and we knew that our other 3 athletes who were racing, would give us some great energy when they arrived.

Not only did I finish the manuscript for my 3rd book but I started to promote my 2nd book. Writing is like many things in life - filled with emotions from being excited to hating the process to feeling so relieved when it's over and loving the final product. It's pretty cool how a white piece of paper can turn into a book. 





OCTOBER '19
I wouldn't say that Kona was a bust. We actually managed to put together good performances at IM Kona. I had a PR swim and bike and was 4th/5th in my AG off the bike! Karel had a PR swim but just felt flat for the rest of the day. He dealt with his normal back issues and really suffered on the bike and run. He was very upset but with time, was able to move on from the race. We love Kona but plan to take a little break from racing on the big island. We feel so grateful for the 9 times (combined) that we have raced on teh big island. This year was just a bit too much for us emotionally. 


Campy turned 12 years old and he is staying healthy, active and loving life. Thanks to his Czech Grandma who stayed with us for almost 90 days, Campy got to go on lots of walks, hikes and adventures. 


NOVEMBER '19
It was great to have Karel's mom with us for so long as she fed us well and was a huge help around our house. With our coaching business, October, November and December are our busiest months so the extra help was really appreciated. Karel's mom is back in Czech now but thankfully, we have lots of her xmas cookies to enjoy in the freezer.



Although we got back into structured training (back to coaching ourselves), we also managed to fit in some exploring in the mountains. I'm so happy to report that I am back running injury free. Although I turned in my manuscript for my third book in late September, October and November were very stressful with a lot of editing.....a lot of editing. It felt like I was writing another book! But thankfully, the finish product is incredible and all of that hard work was worth it. 

DECEMBER '19

If you are still reading this blog and have made it this far, thank you for sharing the past year with us. On one side of the coin, life was very tough to us this year. While things could always be worse, we were tested in so many ways. We endured a lot over the past 12-months. But on the other side, life kept going and we decided to keep going with it. As with any setback, struggle or stressor in life, you may not be able to change the situation but you can manage your thoughts, feelings and behaviors.

Although we are athletes, we are also human. We can't do it all and life isn't perfect. Behind every training session, race performance or picture is also a behind-the-scenes story. Remembering that each one of us have our own behind-the scene moments, be kind to others and most of all, always take care of yourself and your own needs. 💓



And make sure to check out my social media channels tomorrow at 12pm EST when I announce the title of my next book!