Skip to main content

Training: the new normal


It's a little strange thinking that our first long-distance race of the season was supposed to happen this coming weekend (IM 70.3 Florida). Although I'm bummed that most of my racing season has been postponed until 2021, I am not giving up on triathlon training.

Keeping focused on long-term goals is important during this time of uncertainty. However, I'm struggling with my long-term racing goals. I've achieved so much in the sport of triathlon over the past 14 years and I feel content with all that I have accomplished. While I would still like to achieve a few big stretch goals, I am not sure what I am chasing in the sport of triathlon. Despite the uncertainty, I am still very dedicated to my training because training doesn't serve as just fitness-gaining or race readiness for me but it's how I can connect with nature, calm my mind, take care of my body and relieve stress. Plus, I love the feeling of conquering a challenging workout.

When I train, I often find myself thinking "I should be doing this" which is not the best mindset during this time of unpredictability. If you are struggling with your training motivation during this time of postponed races and questionable future race goals, here are a few tips:

  • Dedicate at least three training sessions a week to structured workouts - with specificity, intent, purpose and intervals. Consider keeping these sessions indoors to keep them in a controlled, safe environment. 
  • Dedicate the rest of your training sessions to be without structure. This doesn't mean that they are not important or don't have a purpose but use these as rejuvinating workouts to refreshen the mind, body and soul. If possible, I suggest to take these sessions outside and to enjoy yourself out in nature. If you can't get outside, make these sessions fun when you train indoors.
  • Training should not be "race specific" right now - you'll only burn yourself out if you are putting too much pressure on yourself by trying to hit certain paces, watts or achieving a certain amount of miles. Think about this time as foundation (or base) building but with a bit more intensity/specificity than what you would do in the winter. 
  • Keep your long sessions only moderately long. Whereas you may be use to "going long" right now in the season (or building your mileage/duration), you don't want to burn yourself out - mentally and physically. Again, you don't need to be training like you have a race approaching in the next 4-6 weeks. 
  • Embrace the grind.  Being an athlete is hard. Training is hard. Life is hard. As with anything in life, there are ups and downs and some days are easier than others. Understand that public health crisis or not, not every day is going to be smooth sailing. 
  • Keep it fun. Even if you are social distancing, find ways to train with others. Invite a friend for a virtual training session, sign up for a virtual challenge, purchase a new training plan or set a personal challenge for yourself. It's ok if your normal training looks a bit different right now. 
  • While it's important to be kind and gentle with your emotions, motivation and mindset right now, it's also important to take care of your health. Daily exercise is a must - training is not. Even when you don't feel like training, it's worth the effort to make yourself move. Take a walk, do yoga, dance or go for an easy spin on your bike. 
  • If you feel like your world has been turned upside down, you may have made some extreme (unhealthy) changes in your nutrition, sleep and overall lifestyle. Try to keep yourself on a normal routine for sleep, eating and training. When you are skimping on sleep, eating poorly and pushing back your workouts until you find some motivation and energy, you'll find yourself wasting the day away. Take good care of yourself so that you can stay in good health.