Skip to main content

38 years old: Another journey around the sun


And just like that. I am 38 years old. A birthday is much more than an occasion to receive gifts. It's a chance to celebrate and to give thanks. It's a special occasion to rethink life, to reflect on the past, evaluate the present and make plans for the future. A birthday is a transition from what was to what can be. It's a spiritual refresher.

37 was a difficult year for me. I wrote about (most of) it in my 2019 Year in Review blog.  

"Life can be difficult, unfair and tough to understand. If I had to use a word to describe our 2019, it would be strength. We had to find strength to experience the highs and we had to find strength to get through the lows. Triathlon provides us with many life lessons but in 2019, life hit us hard. Throughout the year, there were several occassions when our hobby of triathlon was put to the aside in order to deal better with the hard times. As athletes, it can be difficult to stay positive, hopeful and focused during stressful, sad or difficult situations. Uncomfortable feelings can leave us with doubt, anger and anxiety. Struggle to balance stressors appropriately and health (mental or physical), joy for sport and motivation can quickly diminish. There were times throughout the year where it was difficult to start a workout. There were even times when we debated about not starting a few of our races. With each workout or race, our strength was tested. And life presented us with a lot of moments to see how strong we really are."

And here I am. 38 years old and experiencing a new normal of life that is sometimes filled with uncertainty, stress and worry. But yet I've lived another year and I have another opportunity to live life to its fullest. As I do every year on my birthday, I will take stock of my life, the people in my life and most importantly, express gratitude and thanks for the opportunities and experiences I've been given, the memories I've been able to make and my health and well-being. A birthday is not just a day but thousands and thousands of days put together. 

As I celebrate the coming of age in another year of life, I'll share my answers to 38 "this or that" questions about my favorite things. 

  1. Almond butter or peanut butter? Peanut butter 
  2. Pop music or rock music? Pop music
  3. Stuffed animals or dolls? Stuffed animals
  4. Morning or evening? Morning
  5. Breakfast or dinner? Breakfast
  6. Summer or winter? Summer
  7. Road trip or plane ride? Road trip 
  8. Snow or water? Water
  9. True love or $10 million? True love
  10. Book or movie? Movie 
  11. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla 
  12. Free coffee or free Wifi? Free wifi
  13. Comedy or drama? Comedy
  14. Reading or writing? Writing
  15. Singing or dancing? Dancing 
  16. Flowers or trees? Trees 
  17. Phone or computer? Computer 
  18. Gold or silver? Silver 
  19. Adventure or relax? Adventure
  20. Blueberries or strawberries? Blueberries 
  21. Wing it or plan it? Plan it
  22. Watch or play sports? Play sports
  23. Pasta or pizza? Pizza
  24. Ocean waves or rain sounds? Ocean waves
  25. Babies or old people? Old people
  26. Time machine or magic wand? Time machine
  27. Shorts or pants? Shorts
  28. Amusement park or nature park? Nature park 
  29. Crushed ice or cubed ice? Crushed ice 
  30. Serious or funny? Funny
  31. Outside or inside? Outside 
  32. Pancakes or pastries? Pancakes 
  33. Pretzel or chips? Pretzels
  34. Luxury hotel or Airbnb? Airbnb
  35. City life or beach life? Beach life
  36. Loud or quiet? Loud
  37. Proactive or procrastinator? Proactive
  38. Life is good or life could be better? Life is good 
Bonus questions:
  • Dogs or cats? Dogs
  • Netflix or amazon prime? Netflix
  • Sensitive or tough? Sensitive 
  • Open minded or close minded? Open minded
  • Indecisive or decisive? Decisive
  • Idealistic or realistic? Realistic 
  • Hair up or hair down? Hair up
  • Dinner out or dinner in? Dinner in
  • Gifts or experiences? Experiences
  • Speak to animals or speak every language? Speak to animals 
  • Farm or zoo? Farm
  • Jeans or dresses? Dresses 
  • Neutrals or colorful? Colorful 
  • Sunbathe or get in the water? Get in the water
  • Socks or barefoot? Barefoot 
  • Speak my mind or choose my words? Choose my words 
  • Twitter or Facebook? Facebook
  • Neat freak or organized? Organized