Skip to main content

Dear Dad

Dear dad,

It's been six years since I last saw you, spoke to you, touched your hand and hugged you. Six years ago I had to say good-bye to you. The time we had together wasn't nearly enough. I only got to spend 32 years of my life with you as my dad. There are still so many questions that I need answers to and you are no longer just a phone call away.

I miss your words of wisdom. I miss your sense of humor. I miss your knowledge of everything. Not a day goes by when I don't think about what life would be like if you survived your 10-month fight with cancer.

When I find myself in a situation or scenario that leaves me confused, concerned or worried, I imagine what you would say or do if you were still here. I wish you were here to share in the happy moments and to help me through my struggles.


You left this world with so many great memories and you left people with a lot of great memories of you. You liked people and people liked you. You made people laugh. You always smiled. You were active and fit. You told the best stories. You always had time for others and you helped whoever you could with whatever you had. Thank you dad for your love. Thank you for being a kind, hard working human being who encouraged me to be the best person I can be and do the best I can in everything I wish to achieve. 


They say grief gets easier to bear as time goes by but I still miss you tremendously after all these years. I didn't know how big of a hole your passing would leave or how much loneliness I was about to experience. There's a lot of you in me, dad. You were my tower of strength. You gave me the best gift anyone could give another person - you were always there to support me. 


Thank you for the patience, love, guidance and understanding that you showed me in accepting me as I was. Thank you for being the best possible role model I could have hoped for in a dad. Thank you for supporting me in my every ambition and helping me through stressful times. You always taught me to never give up. Although life has been difficult without you, I promise I won't give up. You were the one who helped me to become the strong, hard working and passionate woman I am today.

Thank you for your constant love and support for the first 32 years of my life. I will continue to make you proud as you watch over me from above. 

Love, 
your daughter Marni

----------
Here's the tribute I wrote to my dad on the first year after his passing.
1 year ago.