Skip to main content

How to thrive during a difficult time

We are all going through a very difficult time in our life. It's ok to feel your emotions. But in these challenging times, maintaining a positive and resilient mindset is very important.

To help with this, remember that everything ends. Whether it’s good or bad, nothing lasts forever. You've overcome challenges before.

Think about the setbacks/obstacles that you’ve successfully overcome in your life. When you do this, it acts as a reminder of your ability to handle challenging situations and to succeed. It boosts your sense of self-confidence and it eliminates the sense of helplessness. This attitude shift is needed to motivate you to not give up and to successfully rise above the situation.

As part of our weekly "Motivational Monday" post on our private team Facebook page, I recently asked the Trimarni team members to share their best advice/tips on how to thrive through a difficult time.

Here are some of their incredibly insightful responses:
  • Injury: “Try to remember it will always be there. You can’t ever lose that part of yourself. Once an athlete, always an athlete. Get knocked down, get back up, rinse and repeat. You need to be patient with yourself though. Lots of love and grace.”
  • Stay Involved!! 2 years ago I was in a cycling accident and could not workout for 3 months due to a concussion. But I would still meet my running friends and I would walk while they ran. I went to OWS’s and acted as a spotter for our lifeguards and I volunteered at many races. By staying involved I had a reason to get up in the morning and I still got to spend time with my friends while I recovered.
  • Listen to the coaches, period. They know the path to where you hope to go.
  • I've been very lucky in general but did have a six month period very recently where I kept getting sick- immunity was down, prob due in part to undereating. My advice is keep seeking the answers, you know your body better than anyone and what is normal for you and what is not - find the people who truly care and are relentless in helping you get better.
  • Be persistent and patient. When I tore my meniscus in 2017 I had a hard time finding an ortho doctor that looked at and took into consideration what I did and not look just at my age to decide the course of treatment. To tell me I could probably run a mile or two and ride 5-10 miles wasn't acceptable - why get my stuff dirty for that! Once I found the right doctor - as an older athlete - I had to learn to be patient and to listen to my body and my doctor. I don't tend to be patient and as a former nurse I don't tend to do what I'm told but I learned and it paid off. I also found that my occasional 'pity' party made my resolve to rehab only stronger.
  • Working with Trimarni the last 7 years has been amazing. I have completed 6 Ironman's and 20 half Ironman's with multiple podium finishes and I was able to race in three world championships. In that time I have not had any major setbacks. Yes, I have had my share of ups and downs and I do love a good long off season (HA!). Even if I do get comments in training peaks like… "can you do something this week"... LOL!
    During this new phase in my life I have had to really step back. I can't CRUSH workouts the way I use to, or mentally push myself to a breaking point to discover I am not broken, my body is not in a place to race and I keep reminding myself that I am in a season, a wonderful different season. I keep cheering for myself even when I have to walk more. When my watts are in the toilet, I tell myself to just keep pedaling and enjoy the journey. A race is not in sight for me right now and even though the racer in me is missing the adrenaline rush, the cheer of the crowd, chasing down my opponents and those finish line feels. I keep reminding myself. THAT I AM STILL A RACER! That drive inside of me is not gone. To stay consistent, stay happy and listen to my body and “Listen to my coaches”. I know there is another finish line out there for me. I just have to be patient. True champions aren’t made in the light but in the dark when no one is watching. Slowly pounding away at your craft. BE YOUR OWN CHEERLEADER.
  • Find ways to stay involved in your sport(s) - volunteering, strength training, mobility training of non-affected areas, read about races/training, put some of your training energy into a new hobby (yoga, art), work on the mental side of training, explore new recipes for fueling. Consult experts about your recovery.
  • Know that everyone is different. The loss of doing something you love whether temporary or long term will cause various emotional reactions at various times. Acknowledge it, accept it and know this too will pass (much like when you race). This past year and a half has been an emotional and physical roller coaster for me, but I have to keep reminding myself that no matter what stage I am in, I have the tools to overcome this. Just like a race, there will be doubts, nerves, ups and downs, questioning and times when I want to quit. But I don’t. Instead I keep putting one foot in front of the other, and sometimes there are pity parties, but always one foot in front of the other. And instead of always looking at the big picture I take it mile by mile or day by day. What can I do today that will make me happy, healthy and feel like an athlete (no matter how small an activity or movement). For me it really often is the small things that make all the difference. And now more than ever, being thankful for my health and what my body can do verse what I think it should do.