Skip to main content

Homemade Blueberry Bread Recipe

                                       

I love blueberries. I can easily go through a carton a day in the summer. But now that it is late September (insert tear), local fresh blueberries won't be stocked on the grocery store shelves until next blueberry season (which runs from April to late September). But if you are a blueberry lover like me, we can continue to get our fix in the frozen food section. Yay for frozen blueberries!

If you are concerned that frozen fruits and veggies are not as nutritious as their fresh counterparts, I have great news for you. When fruits and veggies are picked and frozen at peak ripeness, they retain a comparable nutrient profile compared to fresh. And if you consider where most fruits and veggies come from (often on the other side of the world), frozen fruits and veggies can actually retain more nutrients when they are frozen compared to fresh. To optimize the nutrient profile, look for a simple ingredient list - no added sugar or sodium. 

The other day I was craving blueberries so I decided to make blueberry bread. I found a recipe online and tweaked it to cut back on the sugar and oil and got creative by creating my own crumble topping. With a big bag of frozen wild blueberries in my freezer, I got my fix and yummed over the fruits of my labor. Enjoy!

   Homemade Blueberry Bread


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups frozen blueberries 

For the crumble: 
  • 1 tbsp butter (I used vegan butter)
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp oats 
  • 1/8-1/4 cup chopped nuts (your choice)

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, yogurt, egg and vanilla. 
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. 
  5. Fold the blueberries into the batter. 
  6. Spoon the batter into the bread pan. 
  7. Make the crumble by mixing together the butter, sugar, oats and nuts until crumbly. 
  8. Spread the crumble on top of the batter in the pan. 
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for ~50-60 minutes. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely. 
  10. Enjoy!