Skip to main content

Race Recap: 2.4 mile Upstate Splash OWS

 

The end of September is always a busy time for us. Over the past few years, we are putting in the final prep for the Ironman World Championship or preparing for some other type of Ironman. We've always wanted to participate in the Upstate Charity Splash but it has never worked out in our schedule. And then 2020 happened. All of our races were cancelled and 2020 became the year of new opportunities. 

Since the open water swim event was not cancelled, we made sure to take advantage of the event this year. The swim is located at beautiful Lake Jocassee, which is one of our absolute favorite places to open water swim. The water is clean, never too hot and the panoramic mountain views are stunning. There are boats but they never get in our way as the lake is very wide and the side closest to the shore (to the left of the pic below) is designated to swimming, camping (on land), kayaking and SUP. 



Although the event sold out (which it does every year due to the lake having a max capacity for events), it didn't feel like a large event. There was plenty of room to spread out and nearly everyone wore masks. We even received a branded event mask in our packet. 

 

Compared to last weekend (Olympic distance event), I was not nervous for this event. I was looking forward to being in the open water, knowing that I was participating in a event that is raising money for a great cause - to prevent childhood drowning. 


Alvaro, Karel and I were placed in the first wave which started at 8:30am. There were two events occurring at the same time (1.2 mile and 2.4 mile) but each wave had around 25 participants in it. We started in the water and the course was an out and back with a green buoy at the start (and turn around after the first loop for the 2.4 mile swimmers), a yellow buoy in the middle and red buoy at the far end for the turnaround. The exit was on the rocks on the shore. We kept the buoys to our left and there were many kayak support volunteers along the course. 

We arrived around 7:30am, used the public restroom, checked in and then put on our wetsuits before a warm-up swim. The event is very low key - no chip timing, no awards and you can wear whatever you'd like (ex. wetsuit, swimskin, buoyancy shorts, etc.). The event is less of a competition and more of a way to bring together our community and raise money for a great cause. But of course, you can't take the competitors out of athletes who are used to "racing" when there is a designated start and finish line :) 



The water temp was warm (around 78 degrees) but we opted to wear our ROKA wetsuits as most of our triathlon events are wetsuit legal and this gave us good opportunity to swim 2.4 miles in a wetsuit. The air temp was cool (in the 60's) so I never felt overheated. We swam for around 15 minutes (with some stops) to get warmed up before the official start around 8:30am. 



Although the water didn't look choppy, it had this incredible chop to it which made it very difficult to find a rhythm. In all my years of endurance racing (and swimming in the open water), I have never swam in such difficult conditions. It wasn't that the water was pushing us around but the chop made it so difficult to make forward progress. I saw this as a great opportunity to put myself into difficult conditions and work through different motions and emotions. If we quit (or mentally give up) when conditions are tough, we never learn. Unless health is compromised, I always believe that giving up is not an option. Never give up when things aren't going your way, the conditions are less than pleasant or you find yourself in scenarios that you didn't prepare or plan for. We learn so much more about ourselves when things are hard. 

The way out to the red buoy was the tough part. Although no part was easy, there was a significant difference in the conditions going out (hard!!!) compared to coming back (somewhat less hard). I was able to stay near the back of the front group but a few guys got away (along with Al) within the first 500 yards. I found myself right behind another female as I was nearing the turn around of the first loop which really helped me build my effort (which is something I like to do in long distance swims). She stayed on my feet for the first part of the 2nd loop and near the end of the 2nd loop I was able to get slightly away from her. I believe I crossed the line as first female (as the lady on my feet exited right behind me) but the results listed her first and me second. So unofficially I think I won the female division but I need to check with the directors of the event. Karel finished around 6 minutes behind me (Alvi was around 6 minutes ahead of me) and Karel really struggled with the conditions but he never gave up. 

After the event, Karel biked home from the lake (~37 miles) and I drove home with Alvi and then I went for a run workout. It was windy and we were tired from the swim but as triathletes, we must mentally and physically put ourselves into scenarios where we have to train through fatigue.

What a tough day but as 2020 is teaching us, we are all so much stronger than we think we are. Well done to all the swimmers who attempted the open water swim! 

RESULTS
Marni - 1:05
Karel - 1:11

Here's a snapshot of my splits (every 500 yards):