Skip to main content

It's Race Week!!

 

This picture was from our last triathlon - waaaay back in October at the Ironman World Championship. 

After all of our registered events were cancelled, I didn't have much confidence that we would be racing in 2020. Not too long ago in mid-summer, we heard that a USAT sanctioned race was happening just 63 miles away. We kept it on our radar as a possible race option. We waited until 2 weeks before the event before we made the decision to register (which we did last week) and now we can finally say that it is race week! 

Karel and I will be participating in the Tugaloo Olympic distance triathlon on Saturday - September 12th, 2020 along with eight of our athletes. I guess we could call this a team race - yippee! Knowing that we are still in a pandemic and the race experience is a bit different, here are a few of my thoughts going into this race: 

  • I have extreme gratitude for the local community, race director and event staff for putting on this race. 
  • We are taking this race as serious as we would any other race. We will take advantage of this opportunity to race as it may be our only triathlon this season. 
  • With extra safety protocols in place, it is our responsibility to know the course and be extra prepared and self-sufficient before and during the event. 
  • I am grateful for my health that I am able to participate in this event. I will continue to follow all protocols to stay safe before and during the event.
  • I will race with joy. Although I'm doing my best to stay optimistic and positive during this stressful and unpredictable time, it has been difficult to lose the race day experiences that have become part of my self-identity throughout each summer for the past 14 years. Racing is something that brings me great joy and adds purpose and value to my life. It feels incredibly wonderful to have something on my schedule to look forward to. While I've been training all spring and summer, I feel like my training now has a clear purpose. 
  • Recognizing that the race experience will feel a bit difference, I will focus on what I can control. I will focus on the process and let the outcome take care of itself.  
  • I have no expectations for this race. As with any "first race" of the season, I am excited to dust off the rust, explore my capabilities, put myself into uncomfortable situations and embrace the unknown. 
Yay - it's race week!!