Skip to main content

A vegetarian Thanksgiving (anytime recipes)

 

We started off the day with a ~3 hour bike ride on our road bikes. We left around 10am and the weather was weird - misty, grey, not too warm, not too cold. We welcomed the fresh crisp air and took in the beautiful sights of nature, farm animals and fall colors. It's incredible that after six years of living in Greenville, SC we are still discovering new routes. Although our country roads are typically pretty quiet from cars, this recent ride treated us with no more than ten cars passing us over just over 50 miles. 


After we returned home around 1:30pm, I cleaned up, had a meal and then got to work in the kitchen. While Thanksgiving food centers around traditions, I see this holiday as a way to create memories over food. And there's no better way to create positive memories than around delish food that feels just as good on the taste buds as it does in the belly. 

I wanted to share the recipes that I used to create the dishes that I prepared for Thanksgiving. These recipes are not exclusive to Thanksgiving - I encourage you to try them out and add them to your weekly menu. If you are like me and feel a bit overwhelmed and anxious with detailed recipes, I will list the ingredients below and then you can click on the recipe link when you are ready to follow the actual recipe. I find it much less cumbersome to purchase ingredients in advance and then prep those ingredients in advance, versus trying to do everything at once (shop, prep, cook all on the same day). 

Sesame Ginger Tempeh Stir Fry


RECIPE LINK

Ingredients: 

  • 8oz block tempeh (I used two x 8 ounce blocks of tempeh to have leftovers.)
  • 1 cup each carrot sticks and green beans
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tbsp fresh garlic
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce/coconut aminos for lower sodium+paleo (I used Tamari sauce)
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • Sesame seeds, green onion, white rice for serving (optional) (I used sesame seeds)
Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole


RECIPE LINK

Ingredients: 
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or water (I used vegetable broth)
  • 1 cup quinoa (any color), rinsed under running water in a mesh sieve for a minute and drained
  • 16 ounces broccoli florets, either pre-packaged or sliced from 2 large bunches of broccoli
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 10 twists of freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, omit if sensitive to spice
  • 8 ounces (about 2 ½ cups) freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided (I used brick provolone and just under 1 cup)
  • 1 cup low-fat milk (cow’s milk tastes best but unsweetened plain almond milk works, too) (I used cow's milk)
  • ½ tablespoon butter or 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 slice whole wheat bread (substitute gluten-free bread for a gluten-free casserole)
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup


Ingredients:
  • 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-size florets
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Fine sea salt
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more if needed
  • Scant ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • For garnish: 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, chives and/or green onions (I used dried parsley) 
Vegan Apple and Pear Crumble 



Ingredients: 
  • 2 1/2 cups pears, chopped (after peeling)  (I used 3 small Bartlett pears)
  • 1 1/2 cups apples, chopped (after peeling) (I used 3 small honey crisp apples)
  • 1/8 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (I used ~2 tbsp vegan butter)
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped optional (I used a handful each of chopped walnuts and pecans)

My best friend. 


Campy's plate.


He's always so surprised and patient when he receives his own Thanksgiving plate. 


Happy Tummy.