Skip to main content

Race Report: Lake Summit 10-mile race

 

In early August, Karel and I registered for the inaugural Lake Summit 10-mile gravel trail running race. We assumed this would be one of our last races of the 2020 season but four weeks later we registered for the Florida Xtreme Triathlon (that race recap is still a work in progress - coming soon!). Because there was only six days between the finish of our 300+ mile event and then 10-mile race, we didn't consider actually showing up for the event until Wednesday last week. After finally feeling more normal again and catching up on a lot of missed sleep, I did a short jog on the treadmill on Thursday and had no aches or niggles. Feeling good about my recovery, I decided that I would show up for the race and just run it for fun. Karel was also feeling really good after the race and did a short jog on Friday just to test the legs. All was good. 

On the morning of the race (Saturday), we woke up around 5:25am and had our normal/typical pre race meal (Oatmeal/fruit/nut mix for Karel and 2 waffles w/ nut butter, banana, syrup and granola for me). I spent around 15 minutes foam rolling before we left the house around 6:45am. Karel did a light mobility session in our workout room before we left. It was a chilly 39 degrees when we left and the temps only dropped as we made our way 50-minutes north to Tuxedo, NC. 

We really enjoy running at Lake Summit - even though it's a drive to get there. We take our campers there as the gravel running is really good for the body and the scenery is really nice (lake houses and lots of trees). The nice thing about the lake is that you can run all the way around it - for almost 10 miles total. It's mostly gravel with a 1.5 mile pavement section and a little pavement to start/finish each loop. While the start/finish of each loop is flat, there are a few kickers of hills with a switchback section on the far end of the loop.


After picking up our packets around 7:30am, we spent a good amount of time warming up. Our athletes Josh and Eedee met us there for the race. 

Unfortunately, Karel's quad (by the knee, inner leg) was bothering him when he would land. It was such an odd thing as he had no issues the day before when he ran. He assumed it was coming from his hip (his hips have been really tight) and with his previous issues with his back, he tried to get his legs warmed up but by the time the race started, he decided to skip the race to not do any damage. Karel was not upset by this decision as this was just a "fun run" and not worth the risk of injury.



I was really surprised how good I felt. I had no residual soreness and I felt fairly fresh. I only swam a few times and ran once last week and really focused on refueling, rehydrating and sleeping - a lot of sleeping! I had a few low moments during the race but the recent 3-day Xtreme event sure did teach me a lot about working through those low moments!


I absolutely love running on gravel/trails so I found myself running happy. After the first 2 miles, I never had more than 2 people within a quarter mile of me so it felt like a solo run where I could be with with my own thoughts. I wasn't out there racing but instead, just giving my best effort on the day without digging deep. I settled into my steady endurance effort. I didn't have any expectations but just to run the mile I was in and to listen to my body. The race field was fairly small (~150 runners) and it was a safe and well-run event by Upstate Ultra. 

For the first few miles, I just focused on settling into a good rhythm. By mile 3 I was making my way to the first hill and gave myself a short reset (walk/stop) break at the top. I continued to include a few walk breaks (and one quick bathroom break) throughout the rest of the race as my body needs the reset breaks (it works really well for me mentally and physically). 


The switchback section on gravel was tough to run up but after a quick reset break at the top (and a quick potty break) I felt really good running down. With only four more miles to go, I definitely felt a little tired but nothing compared to how I felt during the last few miles of each stage of the Xtreme Tri. That Xtreme event gave me so much confidence and appreciate for my body and mind. I was really bummed for Karel not running but happy to see him cheering me on near the finish. 

I felt like I ran a really steady race, stayed well fueled/hydrated with my Naked Running band (each 10-ounce hard flask was filled with Skratch strawberry lemonade) and had a lot of fun. Knowing that this was my last planned race of the season, I ran with a lot of gratitude for my body. After the event, we made a quick stop at Flat Rock Bakery to stock up on fresh bread (and perhaps a few pastries were added to our order ;) 


Although this event was only six days after I conquered my first ultra endurance triathlon event, I was shocked that I had no fatigue or residual soreness after racing for 300+ miles. I woke up that race morning with gratitude for my resilient body. I never take good health for granted. Racing with no expectations or outcome goals is very freeing as it reduces the pressure and allows you to stay in the moment. After all that 2020 has given us (or taken away from us), I will always look forward to any race opportunity to explore my limits and capabilities with my amazing body. 

There's a well-known saying that reads "quit while one is ahead." This idiom implies to stop doing something while one is still successful. Otherwise, further action runs the risk of spoiling something good. Although the emotional intoxication that comes with feeling superhuman after a successful late season race can make it difficult to stop training and racing, there's more to risk - and less to gain - if you refuse to give your body and mind a necessary break to rest, restore and to recharge. 

I feel accomplished. I feel healthy. I want to keep racing. But in my 14 consecutive years of long-distance racing, I've learned that the best time to enjoy a slowdown is when you don't feel like you need one. 

I'm healthy. I'm not broken.
Thank you body.
Socially distant hugs are better than no hugs! 

RACE RESULTS HERE