Skip to main content

GVL WBL #8 - The Grand Finale


Thanks to the Greenville Winter Bike League, I had reason to get on my road bike at 10am every Saturday for the past eight weeks. I also had the accountability to layer-up and venture out in the cold weather for 3+ hours week after week. I only missed one ride due to the weather (we had a rain/snow the night prior and the roads were a little icy so I went out on my own solo ride). What started out as an opportunity to socialize with other people turned into so much more than I had imagined. I met new people, stretched my comfort zone, challenged myself in the designated QOM and sprint zones, improved my cycling skills, discovered new bike friendly routes, won some money (woot woot) and braved the cold winter conditions - all on two wheels.

Here's the schedule (and routes) for all eight of the GVL WBL group rides.
Here are the route links to the last two rides: 
GVL WBL #7
GVL WBL #8

The last ride was a tough one. It was a smaller group of around 30 cyclists and we covered 63 miles in cold (in the 30's), cloudy and windy conditions. The ride went on a beautiful route near Jones Gap and we rode on two new roads that I had never been on before. Karel didn't join me on this ride because he ventured to Walhalla, SC for a super duper hilly 69-mile gravel group ride. I can't wait to show Karel these new routes as they will be perfect for our future training camps. 


Around 21 miles in, we had our KOM/QOM segment. The climb was relatively short and not overly steep but it sure did give my legs some attention. Once we regrouped, it was time for the "sprint" part of the ride. We rode several loops on the River Falls Road Race course - a beautiful 5.6 mile loop (although it was cloudy, it was still pretty with rivers, trees and mountains in our view). Each category had the chance to race one lap while the rest of the group rode the course behind the racing group.
Lap 1 - Women's and juniors (scored separately)
Lap 2 - Amateurs (category 4,5, and unlicensed)
Lap 3 - Pro 1,2,3
Lap 4 - Masters 40+

 I "raced" the women's category and gave all I could. I ended up 3rd and totally smashed myself on the final climb (the end of the loop). I tried to go with the Pro group but I got dropped pretty quickly. It was fun to challenge myself and to test my abilities. It was a cold ride and I struggled near the end. But thanks to the positive energy of the group, we all rallied together and stayed strong until the end. At the end of the ride, it was time for raffle prizes and cash prizes for the category winners. The organizers of this group ride did such an exceptional job of putting together a safe, fun and challenging 8-week series. It was extra special that the ride started/finished just 3 miles from our house.


Our friend/athlete Alvi who joined me for most of the rides. 

As for Karel, he drove an hour away for his gravel ride. This was a "drop ride" which meant you need to stay with the group or else you are on your own. Karel said he paced himself better for his group ride (compared to the one he did a few weeks ago) but he was still pretty spent when he was done. He said the group started off big but got smaller and smaller as the miles went on. There was a lot of climbing and descending on his ride and while the climbs were tough, he really enjoyed the downhills. I found my ride super cold but Karel said that his ride was super duper cold because they were climbing up into the mountains. 



Although I joined the GVL WBL ride and Karel joined the Southwest Gravel group ride, there were several other group rides in and around our area. We are so lucky to have so many safe and bike-friendly routes in our area!


I managed to do a run on the treadmill after my ride but then again, I am not sure if I was actually running. My feet were pretty frozen so I wasn't sure if I was actually running on them. Karel had an hour drive home after his ride so he arrived home shortly after I was making my post-workout meal.

Reflecting on the GVL WBL group ride, every week I found myself anxiously nervous for the unknown. Riding with cyclists (most of which race) was tough - I was constantly feeling challenged - mentally and physically. I am really proud of myself for braving seven 3+ hr rides with a strong group of 30-80+ cyclists over the past eight weeks. That’s seven opportunities of seeking discomfort.

I really embrace the idea of stretching the comfort zone. I wasn't always like this. Karel has helped me welcome discomfort as he has put me in a lot of uncomfortable sport-specific situations (primarily on the bike). While many of these situations often started with some type of argument from me being scared, I thanked him at the end for helping me discover my capabilities by doing something that was scary to me. For the record, I cried during my first ride here in Greenville as I found it too hard and too hilly. Thankfully, Karel didn't let me give up. 

Every time you put yourself into a new and unknown situation, you are training your brain into something better and stronger than it was before.

With each stretch of the comfort zone, you increase the number of opportunities you will be able to take in life because you have gained the ability, confidence and options to do more things you’re comfortable with..... all because you had the courage to seek discomfort.

I learned a lot over the past two months as the GVL WBL group ride started as something uncomfortable and while it never became easy, I learned to become good at discomfort - week after week after week. And I had fun doing it! 

Here are some tips I've learned to help you become better at stretching your comfort zone: 

  • Seek discomfort - Don't be afraid to be uncomfortable. When you try something new, you are learning. You are becoming more than you were before. Discomfort may cause you to make mistakes, reveal your weaknesses  and fear failure but discomfort is a sign that you are growing. 

  • Take charge of your self-talk - Just because someone else is faster/stronger than you, than doesn't mean that you are bad or slow. Just because someone is having a great workout, this doesn't mean that you are having a bad workout. Just because someone looks differently than you, this doesn't mean that you need to change the way that you look. When self talk is negative, it doesn't help you move forward in a way that helps you challenge obstacles. If anything, it moves you backwards because you fail to recognize the progress that you are making or your unique strengths. Learn to reframe negative, self-defeating thoughts in a way that encourages growth and motivation. 

  • View discomfort as an opportunity - Find your tribe (people you feel safe around and give you energy, instead of stealing it away from you) and let others help you stretch your comfort zone. It's easy to feel confident in your safe and controlled environment - one that is repeatable and predictable. While there's nothing wrong with being in your comfort zone, it's important to put yourself into situations/scenarios that you have never faced before. And then learn from them. It's easy to run away from a challenge when you are by yourself. When you are with others, you are more willing and likely to face a challenging scenario. And it's great to have the support of others who are there to celebrate your accomplishment along with you. 
Feeling discomfort from something that is unnatural or uncomfortable isn't a sign that something is wrong. It's likely a sign that you are trying something new and different. Just like physical training, your brain will get better at managing uncomfortable situations the more you put yourself into them. Being scared or uncomfortable isn't always fun but it sure is fun to feel that comfort zone being stretched. Before you know, BOOM - you have stepped outside of your comfort zone.

Remember: What was once uncomfortable becomes comfortable....only if you are willing to seek discomfort.