Skip to main content

IM 70.3 Chattanooga - Quick Recap

 

A few years ago in 2018, Karel completed two Ironman distance triathlons within three weeks (IM Kona followed by IMFL held in Haines City, FL). Karel finished IMFL in a very depleted and exhausted state. His body and mind was not fully recovered from the Ironman World Championship and his body was empty by the time he started the marathon run at IMFL. But in this experiment, he learned a lot about himself. Had he not accepted this challenge, he would have never discovered his physical limits and capabilities. 

Fast forward to the present, we were both a bit unsure how we would perform at IM 70.3 Chattanooga after completing the Ironman World Championship in St. George just 15 days prior. It was only last year that I did my fastest turnaround between two races - IM 70.3 Chattanooga and then IM 70.3 Blue Ridge two weeks later. I had a lot of trust in my body that it was healthy enough to accept this challenge but there were still a lot of unknowns as to what type of damage was lingering around inside my tissues and muscles. 

To help with the recovery after the Ironman, we had a few priorities between the two events: 
-Keep the moving and get back to structured training as soon as the body allows
-Get as much sleep as possible
-Keep up with daily mobility
-Keep the body fueled, nourished and hydrated
-Listen to the body

Here's what my "training" looked like between Ironman St. George and IM 70.3 Chattanooga: 
-Day after race (Sunday): 2 hour nap after a restless night of sleep and a 20 min spin. Karel did a 2 hour spin. 
-Monday: ~30 min swim and a ~80 min spin
-Tuesday: Travel day (red eye from Monday)
-Wednesday: AM: 35 min run. PM: ~90 min spin
-Thursday: AM: 3600 yard swim. PM: 50 min run
-Friday: AM: 3500 yard swim
-Saturday (1 week post race): ~3 hour bike with a main set of (30 min as 5 min over/under HIM effort followed by 15 min smooth followed by 2 rounds of 15 min strong w/ 5 min EZ). Followed by a 27 min brick run. 
-Sunday: ~60 min run followed by a 1 hour spin (riding easy to the bakery downtown)
11 hours training: 115 miles bike (all outside), 20 miles run, 7100 yards swim
---------
IM 70.3 Chatt Race Week
Monday: 2100 yard swim
Tuesday: AM: 4600 yard swim. PM: 90 min bike + 40 min run (short intervals in bike and run)
Wednesday: 50 min run
Thursday (Travel 4.5 hours to Chatt): AM: 2700 yard swim
Friday: 2100 OWS, 95 min bike on course
Saturday: 50 min bike + 8 min run (pre race warm-up)
8.5 hours training (68 miles bike (all outside), 12 miles run, 11,600 yard swim)
-------
I was looking forward to this race for a few reasons. The first being that it was our first team race of the year and I love connecting with our athletes before, during and after the race. We had over 20 team members racing and it was so nice to see everyone. Secondly, I was excited to race on this course. Karel and I love racing in Chattanooga. We have raced here a combined 10 times and we love the scenery, the city, the community support and the spectator friendly course. Lastly, I was excited to do something for the first time. I was really looking forward to the opportunity to see what would happen when I race for 70.3 miles two weeks after racing for 140.6 miles. 

Whereas I was very nervous going into Ironman St. George, mentally, it was a completely different experience going into IM 70.3 Chattanooga. It wasn't that I didn't care about the race but after finishing something so epic and hard like Ironman World Championship in St. George, this race felt "easy" in comparison. It's funny how the brain works. Less gear, less things that could go wrong, more things within my control and less time moving my body. 

But I still didn't know how my body would perform. Even though I had kept myself moving after the Ironman, my legs would sometimes give me signs that reminded me "hey, you just did an Ironman." But overall, I felt healthy and my mind was excited to race. 

In reflecting on Ironman St. George and IM 70.3 Chattanooga, I was excited to compete in both races. But the nervousness I felt for St. George didn't happen for IM 70.3 Chattanooga because I had already gone through the motions and emotions of racing. Although I knew I didn't gain any fitness between the two races, what I did gain was racing experience. I had more trust in my body because of what I accomplished two weeks ago. 

In life, it's normal to be afraid of failure. We will often avoid unknown situations because of the long list of "what if's". Avoiding discomfort is comfortable. 

The next time you do something for the first time, celebrate your bravery. Even if things don't go as planned, view trying something new as an experiment. Sport is so much more than a placement or a finishing time. When you race, you learn things about yourself that you just can't learn in a training session. And I truly believe that racing makes you a stronger, wiser and more confident individual for life. Don't be afraid to try hard things. 


       

                    1.4 mile swim: 27:55                                             1.4 mile swim: 28:00
                     56 mile bike: 2:27.51                                             56 mile bike: 2:24.28
                    13.1 mile run: 1:40.02                                          13.1 mile run: 1:24.59

Thank you Ruthanne for passing along this great poem....


Poem by South African writer and cyclist – Tegan Phillips

Whenever you hear – in your ear – the whisper of some kind of crazy idea

Don’t doubt- you’re too this or too that or just too – this adventure was chosen especially for you

So begin with your plans, your diagrams, and your dreams and don’t feel bad when they laugh at your schemes – or set them a light with their fire machines

Just get going, keep going, and when you feel stuck – and you think the adventure gods don’t give a damn. Remember it’s part of the fun, for things to go wrong – otherwise how could we ever get brave and get strong

Yes, despite how it seems, these things in the sky – are cheering us on, so we might as well try
Take as long as you need, to sit down and cry – but then get your butt – right back up – and hold your head high

Because even if you think that your quest feels small – with every step forward you’re crushing a wall and with every wall crushed, your life grows a bit more – until you look back – and can hardly believe how it once was before

So say yes – next time you hear that call – say ‘ok, I’ll try’ – and then get out that door

And when people come saying – ‘for you this can’t be’ – just say – is it humanly possible? Because if it is – then so long as I’m human – it’s possible for me.