Skip to main content

Haute Route Alps - Stage 4


STAGE 4

August 24th, 2022
Start: Les Deux Alps, France
Finish: Meribel, France
95.5 miles
8:09 riding time
11.7 mph average
14,339 ft elevation gain (Karel's computer had 16,211 feet!)


Climbs: Glandon (25K), Madeleine (19K) and Meribel/part of the Col de la Loze - 16K)


Stage 4 had us worried. It was our "Queen" stage which means it was the most difficult stage of our 7-day event, involving several difficult climbs and accumulating the most elevation. We were so worried about this stage that we didn't even familiarize ourselve with the climbs or stats until that morning. As if the first 3 stages were not hard enough, we were carrying around a massive amount of fatigue and soreness going into this stage. 

But there were positives on this day. First off, if when we finish the stage we will officially be over half way through the event. Wahoo! Secondly, we will be staying in the famous ski town of Meribel, France. And even better, we would have the same accomodations, in the same location for two nights! And even better, our hotel had a pool! Not that I was interested in actual swimming but I was missing the water. Lastly, we "only" had a 10K time trial for stage 5 which gave us most of the afternoon to catch up on food, rest and sleep. 

So while there was a lot to look forward to after the stage was complete, we first needed to complete this massive stage. 

With another early start of 7am, we woke up around 5am and you, guessed it, ate breakfast, packed up our stuff, pinned our numbers on our jerseys, etc. etc. We had gotten into a routine and since we were so exhausted, we were a bit on autopilot. It was a little chilly outside, which was nice in that we slept ok without AC but it was a chilly start to the morning in the low 50's. It was getting harder to eat in the morning but my appetite would really pick up in time for the post event meal. 

The start of the stage was downhill and for 30.8K it was neutralized. I had a jacket and gloves on to keep me warm and I really enjoyed the almost 70 minutes of neutralized riding. Although I made sure to be careful as riding with 400 riders down switchbacks, on narrow roads and in tunnels can be a bit sketchy, especially when everyone is tired. 

Before the timed segment, I stopped to remove my jacket and gloves and also went pee. With a rest stop in the middle of both of the climbs, I was planning to quickly top off my bottles to get me through the climbs but then fully refill at the very top when the timing section was complete. 

The Glandon climb was incredible. The scenery was a bit more green than what I had seen the past few stages and it often felt like I was on another plant. The water and architecture in nature was incredible. Although I was tired as I made my way up the 17.6 mile, 4453 foot climb for 1 hour and 57 minutes (8.96 mph), I was really soaking in the scenery. 

By this point in the stage, we found ourselves around similar people so we began to know people by names (and with hours of climbing, there was also time to get to know people). Karel enjoyed riding with Clay - who had his music jamming from his phone. I found myself around the same Canadians and British guys and also rode with a Brazilian lady for some of the climbs. She was very strong but her knees were bothering her so we were encouraging one another not to give up. That pretty much sums up the vibe of this event - people are really encouraging and supportive. 

After enjoying the views at the top, it was time for a very long, fast decend of 14 miles (40 minutes). I didn't care too much for this descend as the road surface was more bumpy and there were more long and straight sections where I would pick up quick speed. Karel took advantage of the downhills as it's where he felt the happiest. 

Next was the Madeline climb. This climb had us extremely worried. Per the profile, it was a constant climb of 12 miles (4777 feet) and the grade was a constant 8-11% without any opportunity to coast. The only place I could "ease up" was on a switchback. I found myself out of the saddle a lot on this climb as I could get a bit out of each pedal stroke to move me forward out of the saddle. My friend Bryan warned me about this climb and told me to expect around 2 hours of climbing. 

At the top of the climb, it wasn't as horrible as we thought it would be but we were still really glad that it was overwith. Just one more climb until we reached Meribel. 

After another fast decend of 15.8 miles, it was time for the last segment of the stage. 16 miles and 3400 feet of elevation. I felt strong starting this climb and I could tell that other riders were starting to fade from the stage itself and the accumulation of the multiple stages. I linked up with a few guys and tried to stay on their wheel as long as I could until I hit my breaking point and needed to settle into my own effort. 

It started to get really warm (upper 80's) and I could feel it. I also felt really bonky and needed to stop at the final aid station (with 5K to go) as I was so hot. The helpers at the feed zone were handing out coke so I took in a cup and filled up one of my water bottles to help get me to the top. I absolutely hit the wall for the last few miles of this climb and it was a very slow and uncomfortable grind to get to the top of the climb. 

When I finally reached the finish line, I was so relieved. Karel was there waiting for me - with ice cream in hand and I told him that I needed something quick to bring me back to life. I had the most delicious cup of fruity gelato which totally hit the spot! After 10 minutes of resting and getting some sugar into my system, we then rolled into the super cute town of Meribel to the sights of adorable chalets, ski homes, shops and live music. The Haute Route Village was set up near the Olympic center and our hotel was right in the center of the town. I ended up getting my second massage after this stage (which was really good!) and Karel got some food. I snacked on salty crackers and my recovery drink and passed on the post event meal as Karel said it wasn't the greatest. 

I was so excited to check out our hotel and it was even cuter than I could have imagined. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and the shops and our room was big with plenty of room for our luggage to explode (it was nice to not have to repack our bags the next morning - we could enjoy our room for two days!).

Even though I was so empty and wanted to lay in bed, the pool was calling my name so I put on my two piece suit and went down to the pool. I met a new friend James and his wife Cassandre who were both very strong and nice. James used to do triathlons and Cassandre won her age group at Ironman Nice and will be racing in Kona next month. Karel eventually joined us in the pool - after he enjoyed an overpriced cappachino that he had been craving. 

After the dip in the water, we got some food. There were very few restaurants open in the town (which surprised us) so we didn't have many options. We settled for a pizza place (I think I lost count of how many pizzas I've eaten in Europe this month) and Karel had this potato and meat dish which he didn't care for, it was really fatty and didn't digest well. 

After we ate, we were ready for bed. It kinda felt like we had a day off the next day so I was tempted to stay up a bit later than normal but I knew it would be good to get as much sleep as I could before our 10K time trial in the morning.  























Lessons Learned 
Having something to look forward to really helps during tough moments. Knowing all the great things that we would experience after the stage was complete was good motivation to help me start and finish the stage. Also, going into this event, I thought we would be missing out by leaving Nice and riding to Megeve, instead of the other way around. There was something cool about riding to the water and I thought I would have preferred that route. But as the ride went on, I loved entering new villages and towns and making our way up in the country of France. This was a good lesson about making assumptions and how you may expect something to be good or bad but it can be the opposite of what you had hoped for (or imagined). Sometimes the best mindset is a neutral one and to just let things be how they are supposed to be.