Skip to main content

Haute Route Alps - Stage 5 (Time Trial)



STAGE 5 - 10K Time Trial 

August 25th, 2022
Start: Meribel, France
Finish: Meribel, France
6.2 miles
59:33 riding time
6.27 mph average
2657 feet

Climb: Col de la Loze. 

For our "rest" day, all we had to do was ride 10K. Up the Col de la Loze. 2657+ feet to climb in 6 miles. Pitches above 20%. Over 9% gradient for the majority of the climb. Summit at ~7500 feet. At this point in the event, we have covered 390 miles and 52,000 feet of elevation gain in five days. 

Yeah, a lot to accomplish before we could full enjoy our rest day. 

The overall vibe was a bit lighter in the morning as every rider had a set start time range for the time trial. Mine was 9:45-10am and Karel had 10am - 10:15am. They seeded everyone based on overall times so that the top seeded athletes were at the end.

We woke up around 7am (yay for sleeping in!) and had breakfast at the hotel. Although I felt a bit more in my element with the concept of a time trial (my own effort), the course had me worried. I wasn't sure if I had the energy to get up some of the steep pitches and I was worried about having to walk (or fall over). 

After we ate, we took some time to foam roll and do some mobility before heading out on the bike for a warm-up. There were many riders out warming up which it was really important to go into the time trial with a good warm-up in the legs. We wore our triathlon one piece race kits because why not, it's a time trial! 

It was hard to find anywhere flat around the village so there was a lot of back and forth riding. Every pedal stroke was hard, especially going uphill. I found myself extremely nervous. 

When I rolled up the staging area, they called my name right away. After a 37 min warm-up, it was nearing 9:45am and I was about to go. I didn't even have time to think about the start so I just rolled up to the starting stage and within 60 seconds, I was off. I think this was actually a good thing as I didn't have any time to think about what was about to come. 

Once I started, I found myself a bit less nervous. I mean, there's no turning back now so I may as well make the most of the next hour. My goal was to finish but I also gave myself a bonus goal of trying to get under 1 hour. 

The first 1.5 miles were not too bad. It was a gentle 7% grade, weaving through the streets. Eventually the road turned into a golf path type of road (very narrow) and then I hit the first kicker. Ouch, that was steep. There was no way to control my heart or take it easy. I had to give every ounce of power to get up the climb. Then the road settled back down again to 7% (which felt like I was going downhill compared to the kicker) so I was able to relax. I knew I wasn't going to gain any time or places for this time trial so I tried to be really strategic with my energy. I didn't want to overdo it on the "easier" sections as I knew I would need the energy, muscle power and heart beats for the last 5K - the "hard" stuff. 

With other riders already on the course, it was easy to get a glimpse of what was coming - seeing athletes rock their bikes side to side to power up the climb helped me prepare myself. And then there were the riders who were descending down from having already completing the climb - which gave me some reassurance that I would die getting to the top. 

The switchbacks were a blessing as it gave a tiny bit of relief before the road kicked up. 
With every steep pitch, it took everything I had. I questioned if I would be able to get up the next steep climb but then when the gradient dropped to 9 or 10%, I had a bit of relief. There was a short 30 second moment of downhill riding which was grately enjoyed. Looking ahead at the finish, I could see the road ad it went straight up. 

But thankfully the end was in sight. 1K to go. 1K until I get to rest and fully enjoy my rest day. 

There were a few riders on the sidelines cheering and an announcer on the top. I soaked it all in. The hardest climb of my life. 

When I got to the top, I couldn't believe the view.  also beat my goal of breaking an hour and went 59:33. After enjoying a few apricots and a cookie, I walked over to the finish line to wait for Karel. 

There he was, muscling his way on the 20+ gradient to get to the finish line. 50:44 to get to the top. After he crossed, he made it a few more pedal strokes until he hobbled off his bike and collapsed. 

With no rush to get back (except getting a little cool at the top), we spent the next 35 minutes really taking it all in. 

The descend was even more amazing as we could really take in all the sights that we missed while suffering and making sure that our next pedal stroke was not our last. During our 22 minute descend, we stopped to take a few more pics and made sure to give way to the riders who were climbing. It was motivating and inspiring to see the top seeded riders (especially the females) riding so strong up the climb. 

After we finished, we changed and had a snack and then walked across the street to the Olympic center for lunch. After lunch, we caught up on some work for our athletes as we had a bit more time and energy. Later in the afternoon we walked around the town and got a few things for dinner. I was craving cereal and chips so that was my dinner. It totally hit the spot and I felt so good going to bed. 

Although Karel found the stage very hard, the day itself was very much needed. It's amazing what a few extra hours of rest and food can do for the mind and body. 

While we were sad to pack up and leave Meribel, we were really excited for our next stop - Megeve. Our final destination for the event and where we would be spending the next two nights. 
















Lessons Learned 
In the afternoon of the stage, we watched the Col de la Loze stage from the 2020 Tour de France. After riding this climb, Karel's entire perspective of professional cycling changed. He no longer understands how these riders can ride so fast, with such a high cadence and attack on these climbs. Watching this video left us with our mouth wide open, in disbelief of what these riders can do. 
There's something incredibly special about this experience of riding on these legendary climbs. Although we ride these climbs 2-3x longer than the TdF riders, we are on the same climbs. 
This stage taught me a lot about comparison. There was no way I could get to the top of this climb trying to race another athletes race. The only way was to focus on myself and my own effort. It's so easy to compare yourself to other athletes or even a past version of yourself. It's so easy to feel defeated when being passed by another athlete. But knowing that I was giving my absolute best with each and every pedal stroke, I was so proud of myself - on this day, with the fitness, health and ability that I brought to the stage. Watching the tour and other cycling events is one of our favorite things to do but we now have a whole new perspective of what these riders are capable of doing with their bodies and minds.