Skip to main content

Xterra South Africa Race Recap

 

We had a really great night of sleep. There was something special about this race course that had us both really excited to race. With this being only my third Xterra event (previously Xterra Czech in August and Xterra World Championship in Molveno in October), I continue to feel a little nervous about the start of the bike and I worry about holding up other riders behind me on single track. But I'm learning to just focus on my own race. The biggest confidence booster was knowing that we had ridden the entire bike course and I was able to safely get through everything. It was not overly hilly (~2000 feet) and it flowed really well. There was a legit rock garden and several fun obstacles to go over. The race director gave the option for those who didn't feel comfortable in the rock garden could go the "chicken" route which was around 4K longer. 

After we ate our pre-race meal, we double checked our gear, loaded the car and left our Airbnb around 6:15am and arrived to the venue around 6:45am. We parked in a grassy field and rode our bikes to the Elgin Valley Country Club. 



The air was much cooler than the past few days (in the upper 60s) and there was a bit of mist. We were thankful it wasn't raining as we wanted to really enjoy the course and all of the technical elements. The race field was relatively small but with the full and sprint distance along with relays, there was a lot of good energy. 


Shortly after we arrived we got word that the swim would be non wetsuit legal. I made the mistake of having my calf sleeves on (as I expected it to be wetsuit legal) so after setting up my transition area, I needed to go back and take off my calf sleeves and put my compression socks by my shoes. I had prepared for both scenarios before packing my transition bag. I hung my helmet on my bars but in future races, I will put it on the ground so that I put it on first before putting on my shoes. Karel and I both used our USWE hydration packs. I used 3 scoops Berry C30 from Never Second and Karel used 1 packet C90 (citrus). 



The race started at 8am. After the pre-race briefing, we lined up near the front. It was a mass start and a two loop swim with a short run between each loop. The water was the perfect temperature around 73 degrees. Xterra uses World Triathlon rules so with this race being a 1500 meter swim, it's considered "short course" so the water temp is different compared to long course. 



I wore my light tint Roka goggles since the water was dark and the sky was cloudy. I found myself near the back of the front group and swam alongside another girl for the entire swim. There weren't a lot of ladies so I wasn't sure how the competition would be but my focus was on giving myself and being as competitive as I could. I'm still learning how to race Xterra and I know my off road skills are still a work in progress. At least in the water I am comfortable. 

I swam the 1500 meter course (~1731 yards per my Garmin) in 25:45 minutes. Karel swam 27:01 (he had 1622 yards on his watch). I felt like I had a good transition and made my way out on the bike, excited for the ride. With 80% single track I was really looking forward to the bike course. 



Karel loved the bike course. It was exactly what he likes when riding off road. He felt really strong and he was able to ride really well, feeling competitive throughout the 28K course. The course was broken into two segments - a long loop and a short loop. The long loop had the rock garden. I was passed by Karel in the first climb (switchbacks) and I passed the girl that I swam with but she later passed me and I never saw her again. I wasn't passed by any other females. I made a few mistakes throughout the course which caused me to unclip and stop but they were more because I was tired. Although riding on the sand is still new for me and I'm still working on my tight turns. There was a little rain near the end of the bike but it felt really refreshing. The weather was absolutely perfect in the low 70s. The nice thing about this course is that even the Jeep trails were technical so it kept us engaged the entire time. It was so much fun and I didn't want the bike course to end. 
Karel rode the 17.8 miles in 1:32 and I finished in 1:51.27. 



After putting on my Hoka trail shoes and putting my Nathan 10 ounce flask in my trikit pocket (we each had 1 x 10 ounce flask with 1 scoop C30 from NeverSecond), I grabbed my hat and sunglasses and headed out on the run. I usually don't wear sunglasses when I run on the trails but I grabbed them just in case as I wasn't sure what the run course would be like. 



The 6.3 mile run course had ~1000 feet of elevation gain and it was everything that I could have dreamed of in a run course. We ran in sand, up and down rocky trails, crossed over wooden bridges and even "ran" in a creek. 



As you can see from the pic, the creek was about waist high in certain sections. I opted to "swim" through the creek. It was fresh and clean. It was so much fun. After we exited the run, we went through a beautiful forest that felt like a jungle. I was able to run really well and stay really strong throughout the run. I wasn't sure what place I was in but I wanted to give my best all the way to the finish line. 



This course was everything that I imagined Xterra racing would be. To be honest, we have been a bit dissapointed in the past Xterra races that we've experienced in that a lot of the bike courses are steep and on Jeep trails with just a little single track. This was a legit bike course and the run was true trail running. I couldn't stop smiling. Karel ran the 6.3 miles in 48:17 and he was able to pass one guy near the end, who he had been battling with throughout the run. I ran 56:49. As I was nearing the finish, I heard that I was the 4th female. A bit bummed to miss out on the overall podium but really proud of my finish. I felt like I was really racing and I had so much fun. 



Marni: 4th overall female, 1st age group - 3:18.5
Karel: 7th overall male, 1st age group - 2:50.45
Full results HERE.



As we were waiting for the awards, we had a nice meal. There was no food after the race, just water and a sport drink in cups. You could buy beer or water and there were several food trucks. We also ran into Richard Murray and Rachel Klamer - two triathlon Olympians and the nicest people. We talked for a while and enjoyed their company. 


Karel had a burger and I had a delicious vegan wrap. I was surprised to see so many vegetarian/vegan food options. Although I would have been just fine with some french fries and pizza ;) 




Karel and I both won our age groups and qualified for the 2023 Xterra World Championship in Molveno, Italy but we turned down our slots since we planned other events in August/September. 

We highly recommend Xterra South Africa. We loved the nature, the scenery, the food, the people and the course. Everyone was so friendly and nice.