Skip to main content

Powerful Spaghetti squash

Within my journey of learning how to appreciate the food that I put into my body, I have discovered many new tastes and ways to be more creative in the kitchen. Although 18-years of being a vegetarian has allowed me to broaden my horizons when it comes to mourishing my body and fueling for endurance sports, I can't say that I was always so adventurous when it came to learning to appreciate new foods.
Thankfully, Karel loves all food. And, I love to cook. Put those two together and I have no excuses when it comes to variety in our diet.

As athletes and fitness enthusiasts, I think it is necessary that you prioritize variety with your food choices. The easiest suggestion I can make is to think of the colors of the rainbow when planning your meals and snacks. Each meal and snack can build off one another so that by the end of the day, you feel satisfied with your choices...and in your belly.

By learning how to add new wholesome foods into the diet, the body is also able to metabolize and use new vitamins and minerals.....both during activity and for overall health. For example, spaghetti squash is is a POWERful food. It's packed with folate, vitamin C, vitamin A, pantothenic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin K, niacin, copper, fiber, calcium, iron, vitamins B1 and B6 and even omega 3 fatty acids. Add this beautiful stringy veggie to a plate of OTHER wholesome foods, you've got a fantastic opportunity to flood the body with quality nutrients that will improve your fitness and success as an active individual.

I hope you enjoy my new favorite food...as I often say, not sure why it took so long to introduce this food into my nutrition journey. Enjoy!

Spagheti squash1 medium spaghetti squash (should feed 2-3 people, depending on portions)
Olive oil (or your favorite oil)

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut off ends of squash and slice down middle to divide into halves.
3. Use your fingers to pull out seeds (which you can bake on a sheet for 10-15 minutes at 150-175 degrees).
4. Place squash on glass cooking dish, rind side up. Drizzle with oil on top of squash.
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
6. Use a fork and scrape out "noodles".
7. Serve with your choice of protein (beans and eggs in picture) and either another veggie or whole grain.

YUMMM!