Skip to main content

Athens Twilight Crit

We are in Athens!
The 6 hour drive went really quickly. After dropping off Campy at 8:30 at a friends house (tear :( ) we headed off to Athens.
We checked into the Days Inn after slowly driving through the frats off University of Georgia. Oh, the days of being in college.
We headed straight to College Ave so Karel could check his times for the Computrainer grid heats. Karel's heat was at 515 so we had enough time to check in and for Karel to warm-up for 30 min. on his trainer.
The computrainer event was awesome. I've never seen anything like it. 100 guys (out of the 150 who are racing the main event tomorrow) can race on the computrainer in heats. There are 11 heats of 8 people and they take the top 8 people of the day for the computrainer finals. The computrainers were on a stage and there were 3 flat screen TV's showing the audience and the riders their wattage, speed, distance, place, etc. It was so cool!
I have lots of pics so I will post those later this afternoon.
We had a great night last night. After Karel got cleaned up from his heat we headed to a local Taco cafe for the BEST (and I mean BEST) tofu burrito I have ever had on a sun dried tomato wrap. It was SOOOO good!! Afterwards we shared a treat and coffee at Starbucks (I love trips w/ Karel!) and then watched the 9pm (which actually started at 9:30pm) finals for the computrainer.
I just finished my coffee and I am about to head to College ave once again for the 5K running race. Afterwards, I will be getting on my bike for a 50K bike, which is part of the Gambler event. So many great activities here for me. Although I am paying $50 to "train" I don't see this as training. I don't care about numbers or times. I like to see if there are any events going on when I head to Karel's races and of course I couldn't pass up the TWIATHLON. The last leg of the race is getting a tour of the Jittery Joes's Brewery and enjoying lots of coffee!
I'll be back to post some pics before the suffer fest...I mean main event.. tonight at 9pm. An 80K criterium on a 1K course!
http://www.athenstwilight.com/cycling.php