Skip to main content

Staying busy

I really enjoyed speaking to the Booz Allen corporation at Mac Dill Air Force Base. The talk went really well and I was really thankful to Jordan who asked me to speak.

I just started my second course for this summer, Nutritional Therapy and Assessment. Starting to get a bit stressed with two very time-consuming courses but I think I'll survive.

In two weeks I have my first big race of the season. Karel and I will be going to Macon GA for the Rock n' Roll Half Ironman. I'm really excited to race on a new course. This will be my 4th half ironman but my 1st half ironman on a new course. I guess I was too in love with the IMFL 70.3 race in Disney that it took me 3 years to get the nerve to try a new course. My training has gone very well and for the first time I am actually looking forward to all three disciplines. Usually I can't wait to swim and run but fear the bike. After many women pass me on the bike I usually feel the pressure to try to catch them on the run. However, this year, I feel like I can have a strong bike, in addition to a strong swim and run.

Yesterday I rode in the rain. I knew it would rain but I thought I would get home in time. Well, I rode for about 1 hour until the rain came down hard. Luckily, I was on the suncoast trail so I didn't have to worry about cars or any traffic. Just me on my bike and a road. I enjoyed the rain because it is always mentally challenging to ride in the rain. I know there is always a chance for rain during a race in Florida, it is good practice to ride in the rain.

After a full weekend + 1 day of training I am enjoying a partial rest day today.
I coached one of my athletes (gary) this morning in the pool so it was great to catch up where we left off a year ago. In the 60-64 age group, Gary has more competitiveness than anyone I know. I just love it! He has training logs for the past 5 years (at least) and notes for every workout.
Well, aside from some rain here and there for the past few days, I can look back at 3 quality workouts:
Sat - Sprint tri + 40 mile bike
Sun - 1:45 run + 10 min. Campy miles (aka run with Campy)
Mon - 38 mile interval ride
Tues - 2000 yard swim (coaching)

Campy and I are really enjoying our time with my parents. Campy has discovered almost every cat toy in my parents house and everytime I see Campy he has a new toy in his mouth. He likes to bring me toys and show them off to me.

A friend of Karel and me (Christi An) took these pics and from the looks of it, I must have had something very important to say :)