Skip to main content

BFAS race report

1/4 mile swim - 13 mile bike - 3.1 mile run
Well, it was a sprint triathlon so I don't have a lot to write about. And I don't have my camera with me (I'm at my parents house and Karel is back in Jacksonville) but pics will come shortly!

The morning started early..for Karel.
He was up at 4am...oh the life of tech support. Be sure you thank the bike mechanics at your next tri for pumping up your tires. Karel pumped up a zillion tires and he was very helpful at the Trek bike tent. It was nice to see him there helping out and he had a good time doing it.
I arrived around 5:45am to the race and after getting body marked and getting my chip, I set up my transition area. It has been a long time since I did a tri so I had to double check and check again, that I wasn't forgetting anything. I usually pack my transition bag the night before, like I would set up my transition area so luckily, I didn't forget anything.

As far as the race goes, it was great! I am very happy with my performance and I set two PR's in my race.

The swim was a mess because the waves were so high and the current was so strong. We went off at 7am and the decision to swim was made by the race officials at 6:30am. I was prepared for a duathlon but I'm happy we swam. I am pretty confident in my ability to spot but for a 1/4 mile swim in 10 min...it was wavy out there!! But, it was wavy for everyone so that's ok.

After the swim it was a sandy run (a long one) to T1 and I was fourth out of transition area for the women. My good friend Libby was 2nd and my other good friend Katrine was just behind me. It was so great having all my tri buddies out there!

The bike was fast! Finally..the bike training has paid off! Most of all, I LOVED having my power tap. Although the pink stickers helped my speed (subtle, but I love a nice bike accessory when it's cute) I was really pushing hard to chase down the 3rd place woman. Unfortunately, I never passed her and the top 3 women were all chasing each other. I was alone passing men, but I didn't mind. I'm sure they minded :)
The course is very familiar to me cause I do my long rides on part of the course. However, I don't always venture over the intercoastal causeway but I felt strong climbing the bridge.
I PR'd on the bike with a 22.6 mph average (36 minutes). Karel was happy with that!

Onto the run I felt good. The first 1/2 mile was a little slow but I picked up the pace. It was an out and back course so I didn't really know how far back I was until I saw the other girls. I wasn't sure if I could pass the 3rd woman but I thought I would push it hard to the finish just in case she faded. Well, she didn't fade but my splits were good.
7:03 mile 1
7:39 mile 2
6:52 mile 3
3.1 miles = 22.06 (so close, yet so far from 21 min.)
I came in 4th overall female, won my age group and had 2 out of three strong times.


After the ride Karel drove home to rest up for his evening crit in Lakeland so I stayed for awards and biked home. I rode with Libby for an hour and we re-rode the bike course and chatted for an easy. I didn't view this as training but as a way to just spin my legs after the race. When I got home around 12 I was ready for a meal. Even though I gave it 100% during the race, that spin home felt so good for my legs.

Well, I have lots more to write about for the weekend. Karel raced twice this weekend so I have lots more pics as well.
I am speaking tomorrow at the Allez Booz corporation at Mcdill air force space in Tampa, FL. I'm super excited to talk about diet and exercise to help get the workers motivated for a corporate fitness challenge. So, off I go to practice for the millionth time today.

More stories tomorrow....