Skip to main content

Race pictures

The twilight crit was at 9pm on Saturday night in Lakeland. After my 40 mile bike home from the triathlon race on sat morning, I ate breakfast, packed and packed up my car. At 3:45 Karel, Campy and I started our trip..but it didn't last very long. My back tire had a flat tire!! So, we quickly took all of our stuff (2 bikes, bags, food, etc.) out of my Hyundai and into Karel's car. Campy sat quietly in the front seat determined to stay with us in whatever car we were taking. We made our 3 1/2 hour drive to Lakeland and in the last hour of our trip, my busy day caught up to me and I was ready for a nap. As for Karel, even though he was up for 17 hours before the race, he was really excited for the night crit in downtown Lakeland.
Campy and I walked around the 1K course a bunch of times and Campy met a lot of doggy friends.
The race was crazy fast and the Pro's averaged 31mph for the 1 hour race. WOW! Puts my 22.6 mph average to shame!
The race changed up every loop and it was really exciting to watch. There was a crash with 2 laps to go and Karel lost a little momentum. I think he finished 14th or 15th so that is still a great finish.
We got to my parents around 11:45 on sat night and after watching Campy run around my parents house for about 10 minutes, I was ready for bed.
I woke up at 6am on sun so that I could get in a good run + campy run + jump in the pool + breakfast before we headed back to Lakeland. The run was good (1 hr and 50 min) and I felt really good. My legs got super tired as the day went on but the dip in the pool felt great. This was also Campy's first time in the pool and he is a born swimmer. I was a little nervous to let him swim but his natural doggy paddle when I held him over the water was too cute. I was swimming back and forth in my parents pool and Campy was loving barking at me and chasing me on the pool deck. Puppies are so much fun!
I left Campy with my parents so that I could take some good pics at Karel's race.
Karel was really pumped up for this race, as well as Jeff, Shawn and Ryan (Karel's teammates). The race was fun to watch and Karel and Jeff worked really well together. Shawn surprised us all with around 10-20 min of leading the race with a 25 sec. break! It was sooo exciting to watch one of Karel's teammates, at 19 years old, work so hard alone in the front of the pack. Just awesome!
Of course..another crash with 2 laps to go but Karel managed to squeeze around the crash, even though it put him a few places back. Karel landed 9th or 10th overall, for the field sprint. Karel said he was feeling really great for the whole race.
Enjoy the pics!

Here's a bunch of pics from this past weekend.
My triathlon and Karel's state criterium championship.
*Thanks to Neil (Libby's hubby) for the great triathlon pics!