Skip to main content

Campy on the mend

What an eventful last few days....
On Thursday afternoon, I took Campy to the vet and the diagnosis was that he needed to get his anal glands expressed. Lovely.
Scared to put Campy under, I have been putting off getting his teeth professionally cleaned for the past year. I figured now is the best time as I fear putting it off too long would only hurt campy's health in the long run.
Of course, I asked all the important questions that any good doggy-mommy would ask "When can I pick him up, how long will he be under, can I bring a blanket for him?"

Combined with teeth cleaning and getting his anal glands expressed, Campy also had an ear infection that needed looking into as he is a bit too squirmy (even with a muzzle) and previous medications have not helped. Oh, we also decided to microchip him as well.

Poor Campy. He thought he was going for a car ride with Karel and instead he was going to that scary place that he would rather never see again.

I've recently been taking Campy to the Bartram Park Animal Hospital and the vet and techs are extremely nice. I like the feeling that they care about Campy almost as much as me...not possible for anyone to love campy more than I do.

Because of schedules on Fri, I went to the Y at 5am for strength and swim and headed straight to the hospital (I try to get there between 8 and 8:20am) at the beach. Karel rode the trainer and then took Campy around 9.
From 9-1 Karel and myself were just texting back and forth...missing our little furry one.

To keep me busy, aside from seeing some very interesting patients, I did another demo at the hospital for National Nutrition Month. This time it was on a plant-strong diet, demonstrating ways for individuals to eat more plant-based protein, thus more variety in the diet. This time around, I had very positive feedback. Perhaps because I never once mentioned the word "vegetarian" and like always, I never talk about bad or off-limit food. Therefore, I tried to express my excitement for many different options to increase protein in the diet, and even had a sheet showing how someone can consume 90grams of protein a day on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (but without those words of course).



Finally around 2pm as I was looking up charts for my patients, I heard from the vet. Campy was awake and in recovery. Phew...I called Karel and we couldn't wait to see him later.

I got off work around 4 and stopped by the grocery to pick up a few things (killing time that is....)
Finally, it was 5:30pm and I was allowed to pick up Campy.

The tech told me that campy would be tired, in a bit of pain and wouldn't be his normal self. Campy ran to me when he saw me and he was full of energy.
Well, that wore off fast. I guess anything to get him out of there, in his mind :)

Later that evening, Karel and I had an event at a new bike shop to attend and it was incredibly hard to leave campy.



Karel was super thoughtful and gave Campy a new "bear" (we refer all toys for campy as "bears"). Campy loves it.


So, what's a doggy mommy to do when Campy is in recovery mode...take pictures!!!
I just love this little guy...can't wait to get my running partner back!