Skip to main content

Happy 73rd Birthday Dad!


Dear dad,
Happy Birthday! Wow - I can't believe you would be 73 years old today.

I can't help but remember all the times I used to forget your birthday (until mom would call me to remind me). I was quick to make you a last minute gift but I never rushed to find you the perfect birthday card to reflect your love of tools, cars, carpentry and electronics.

It's been nearly six years since you lost your 10-month fight with cancer and each year since, I've kept note of your birthday so that I will never forget it. Although a day doesn't go by that I don't think about you and wish you were still here, your birthday makes me miss you a lot more than usual.

Over the past six years, I've missed sharing my accomplishments with you. You were always my biggest fan and supporter. Can you believe I wrote three books! You always told me that I would be an author one day. You always believed in me. I still remember all the times in high school, college, graduate school and beyond - you were the best proofreader for my articles, homework assignments and papers. 

While I know you would be so proud of my athletic, career, business and personal accomplishments (probably bragging to your veteran patients at the VA as you always did), I have really missed your guidance, words of wisdom, positivity and optimism and answers to all my questions.  At times, it's been really hard to navigate life without you. 


You were always a phone call away - and sometimes I'd call you two or three times a day just to say hi. Sometimes I'd have nothing to talk about but I always enjoyed hearing from you. 

And now more than ever before, I wish you were here in my life to help me sort through all my thoughts and emotions. While I am doing just fine, life was always easier with you in it. 

You were always there for me. You knew what I needed and could always make me laugh and smile. You always had a smile on your face and never complained. I don't think you ever had a bad day.

I remember you always telling me that it's not about how long you live but how you live your life. I am keeping with your motto and making the most of every day and seeing the best in every opportunity. 

Like you, I love being outside, physical activity and animals and I try to see the good in every situation. Although some days are harder than others, I want to be like you - always waking up excited for another day of life. Every. Single. Day. 

Thank you for the lessons you taught me and the memories you gave me. You were always the best storyteller.  

Although you are no longer here with me, you are still a big part of my life. I think of you often and will often say "dad would love this."

Everytime I travel, you are there with me making sure I don't get lost and that I am safe. When I race, I can hear you cheering from above. And when I am sad, stressed, anxious or worried, you somehow help me find a way to get through even the toughest situations. Nothing has been as hard as losing you so in some ways, I feel like you have prepared me for the rest of my life. 

Life is going on without you and I am committed to making the most of it. No matter what's going on in the world, I am constantly reminded of your zest for life. 


You taught me the importance of being kind and patient, as well as the importance of giving back and helping others. You were such a great mentor, role model and leader - often called the nicest person ever. If I can live up to half of your incredible reputation, I'd consider myself lucky. 

Like you, I'll keep smiling, laughing and loving life. You could always see the good in every situation.

I'll continue to take pictures wherever I go. Like you, I can't help but smile when I see a camera. 

I was so lucky to have you as my father for almost 32 years. You gave me so much to remember in those 32 years. 

Although your life was cut short from something out of your control, you showed tremendous strength, courage, optimism, humor and positivity. 

I feel so lucky to call you my dad. You were always my biggest supporter, best friend and inspiration. I loved living life with you in it. 


You always encouraged me to chase my dreams - no matter how crazy or big. I am thankful for all the things you prepared me for in life.


I can never thank you enough for being an amazing example of an amazing human being in my life.

Happy birthday dad. I am so proud to be your daughter. I hope you enjoy a bowl of pasta with meatballs and a big slice of chocolate cake (your favorite). Yes dad, even though I'm a dietitian - I approve of your birthday meal. 

Love, Marn