Skip to main content

My first gravel ride.

 

Over the past few weeks, Karel has been spending a good amount of time on his Ventum gravel bike. Although Karel has several bikes in his collection, this may be his new favorite. 

Although I've never been off the road on a bike (well - just once on a MTB several years ago but I wouldn't call it a real ride), Karel wanted to share gravel biking with me. Seeing that my bike handling skills have greatly improved since moving from Florida to Greenville, SC. I figured it was time to get into nature and explore a different style of riding. 

Instead of investing in another bike, Karel did a bit of research and Macgyvered my Ventum NS1 into a gravel bike (it can be quickly converted from road bike to gravel bike). 

Here are the specs: 
NS1 - XS (size 50)
650b wheels.
Front tire: Maxxistires Rambler 27.5 x 1.5.
Rear wheel: Continental tire Terra Speed 27.5 x 1.35 (650b x 35).
Gearing: 36x52 front and 11-34 rear.
Pedals: Look Quartz MTB.
Shoes: Bont riot+ MTB.

For several days, I was really looking forward to my first gravel ride on Monday morning. Not surprisingly, Karel didn't take it easy on me. We drove ~30 minutes north and parked near Cedar Springs Baptist Church in Zirconia, NC. It was a chilly 30-something degrees when we started the ride around 11am. 


Since I am used to riding my road bike, the MTB pedals, shoes and wheels/tires were the only "new" things to get used to - and it was a quick adjustment. We biked a few miles on the road before the pavement ended and I had my first taste of riding on gravel. I immediately loved being tucked inside nature. Karel told me that we would be going on a "hike" today but on our bikes. That's just what it felt like - although a lot faster than hiking and at times, a bit more of an endorphin rush. 





Karel led the way since he knew the route and gave me a few pointers along the way. Since this was all very new to me, it was nice to start on terrain that was more like hard-packed clay (and not too technical) to get started. Plus, we started steadily climbing once we hit the gravel so it was easy to feel in control of the bike. And I had no trouble with Karel's gravel "set-up" for my road bike. It handled really well on our route. 




But then the packed clay-like terrain turned into a thin layer of snow. I stayed calm and started to really enjoy this off-road style of riding. And then we started climbing and climbing and climbing. And then we descended. After the first half of the ride, I started to get the hang of things and found myself being a little more adventurous (versus tentative when I started). I didn't want to ride overly confident as there were some sketchy sections of snow, ice and mud. 

As I mentioned earlier, Karel didn't take it easy on me. He gave me snow, ice, mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, switchbacks, climbs, descends, stones, holes, wooden bridges and leaves. I had a bit of everything for nearly 2.5 hours and 28 miles. We also accumulated over 2400 feet of elevation during the ride. 

Not only did I finish in one piece (without a fall) but I had a really great time. I found myself getting a little worried at times but I quickly shut those thoughts out and tried to stay confident and in control. I learned a lot in this one ride and I can't wait to do it again. Karel was a great tour guide and I appreciate his patience....as I know he could have bombed those descents much faster than my casual pace down the hills.