Skip to main content

Taking it off road - my first group gravel ride.


Karel recently got into gravel riding and his immediate response was "why didn't I find this earlier?" 

This past year has really taught us to embrace the current moment and to take advantage of every moment. With such an incredible triathlon playground in and around where we live, we have kept our love for nature alive by finding different ways to use (and improve) our cycling fitness. Most recently it was the GVL WBL 8-week group ride series and now I've ventured into gravel riding. 

My first and second gravel ride was in Dupont State Forest. The first ride include snow, ice, mud and everything else - Karel didn't take it easy on me. Let's just say I learned a lot over 28 miles and 2.5 hours. My second ride was mostly gravel with a mix of roots, leaves and dirt. My third ride was on Friday (a few days ago), when Karel took me on a gravel ride adventure just outside our front door. We made our way to part of the Furman Cross Country course and then on the off-road trails around Furman. And then for the finale, Karel took me to the Gateway Bike Skills Flow Park in Traveler's Rest. 

Although I still have a lot of skills to learn, I am finding myself more and more confident on my makeshift Ventum NS1 gravel bike. Instead of purchasing a new bike, Karel purchased a few off-road specific items and can now turn my NS1 road bike into a gravel bike anytime. Here are the specs of my "gravel" bike:

  • Ventum NS1 - XS (size 50)
  • 650b wheels.
  • Front tire: Maxxistires Rambler 27.5 x 1.5.
  • Rear wheel: Continental tire Terra Speed 27.5 x 1.35 (650b x 35).
  • Gearing: 36x52 front and 11-34 rear.
  • Pedals: Look Quartz MTB.
  • Shoes: Bont riot+ MTB.

Karel is a natural no matter what bike he is on and with experience in mountain biking, road cycling, triathlon biking and now gravel biking, he has been a great teacher for me. Plus, it's really fun to enjoy this new type of bike riding together as we both enjoy adventure and nature. 

Karel joined the Southeast Gravel group for two of their recent recon rides. Most recently (two Saturday's ago) he did an epic 70ish mile ride with over 7000 feet of climbing! After watching the preview video for the Sumter Forest Route in Clinton, SC. Karel and I felt like this course would be a good "intro" course for my first group gravel ride. 

We left our house on Saturday morning around 8:30am, dropped Campy off at my mom's house for his all-day daycare and drove the 51 miles to Clinton, SC. It was a quick and easy drive and one podcast later we were there. It was a bit cold (~30-ish degrees) and cloudy but over the past few weeks of riding with the GVL WBL group, I feel like I have good experience with dressing for the cold winter rides (I've learned a lesson or two from being cold from not dressing appropriately). The ride started shortly after 10am and the large group of gravel riders were off to preview the Sumter course. 


Ben and Boyd did a great job leading the way and giving tips and suggestion as we went along. Since this course will be an actual event/race in March, many people were getting their first preview of the course (along with a great workout). I had planned to do the 70-mile (long) version with Karel but depending on how I felt for the first part of the ride, I knew I would be able to branch off and do the shorter, 40-ish mile loop. I had the longer version in my computer to help with navigation. I'm thankful that every group ride has a route available to download into the computer. It really helps me know what's coming. 

The first part of the ride was on pavement and then we went onto the first gravel section. While my on-the-road cycling journey was filled with a lot of scary, doubtful and apprehensive first-ever moments, I felt somewhat comfortable on the gravel. I am still learning how to interact and trust my bike on the off-road but each time I get a bit more comfortable. I made sure to eat a bit more than normal (a bit earlier than normal too) to keep my energy up. I also had two bottles on my bike (each with ~240 calories INFINIT) that I sipped on throughout the ride. I made a third bottle at the refill stop at a church but didn't drink it. Although I was a bit underhydrated, I felt strong throughout the ride. I'm learning with Gravel that you have to take into account the lack of available fuel/hydration stops. Since it was cold, I knew I still needed calories. I didn't feel dehydrated but I also knew I wasn't drinking like normal (but I was still able to stop and pee twice during the ride). 

After we arrived to the split of the two courses (long and short), I was actually a bit more comfortable with our "small" group of 18 instead of the 50+ riders that started (not sure how many exactly but it felt like a lot). The ride was filled with some laughs like "don't get hit by the train on race day or else you will get disqualified" and a lot of other friendly conversations with the guys in the group. 

The ride was a mix of long stretches of gravel mixed in with a several miles of pavement. The nice thing about the gravel bike is that it feels somewhat like a road bike on the road, even with the thicker tires. 


The ride was really pretty as we were either covered in trees or exposed in a large field with only the gravel under us. There were potholes to dodge, tunnels to pass under and even a river to cross - my first ever river crossing was a success! 

With each mile I was learning more about me and how to handle my bike on the off-road. 

         

The group ride was really helpful as I could watch what other people were doing. I was always paying attention to how others took a turn, climbed a hill, descended or managed the sketchy sections. Plus, Ben, Boyd and a few of the other riders were always pointing out any rough-road sections and letting us know what's coming. Because I'm still learning, knowing what's coming next is really helpful for me so that I can be prepared. 

After a quick stop to refill bottles at a church, we only had about 23 miles left in our ride. I couldn't believe it! I never looked at the time and my computer only showed the route. When we finished the ride, I couldn't believe that we had covered 70 miles in right at 4 hours. It went by so quickly!


I really enjoyed my first gravel group ride and this was just another reminder that my brain and body is really suited for diverse, nature-filled and dynamic courses. Sitting in aero, being by myself and with my own thoughts or settling into one tempo for several miles is just not my style of racing. Gravel riding has confirmed to me that I belong on challenging courses that are filled with nature, hills, technical aspects and the opportunity to see/be around other people. I am still a triathlete and I love the sport of triathlon but this past year has taught me that I love being a triathlete because of the people I get to meet and the places I can see because of my fitness. So yeah, I'm thinking IM Kona is not in my near future. Five times on that magical island was enough - it's time to venture out to other racing adventures and opportunities. 

I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself! Not only was this my longest ever gravel ride (4th ride on my makeshift Ventum NS1) but it was my very first gravel group ride.

I learned a lot of new skills, met new people, saw new scenery and had a fun time. With so much focus on the road under me, I still can't believe how quickly the time passed by.

I’m incredibly grateful for my body and health - and for Karel helping me build confidence in my off-road bike handling skills.

My message to you...never deprive yourself of feeling proud, empowered and strong. 

In a world where it’s so easy to be impressed by others, don’t forget to impress yourself!

If you are looking to "race" or test your skills off road, you can tackle the course that I just rode on for the Southeast Gravel event on March 13th.