Skip to main content

Great American Teach In



Mon and Tues-normal days of nutrition consultations and writing articles. Currently looking for a full or part-time job to help pay for my sport and all my expensive bills (you know-help pay for life). Don't get me started on the gas price right now! I've been riding my bike everywhere in order to save gas. I don't really like to drive so the high gas prices is a great reason to get out my new carbon road bike and run errands. I have been feeling a bit trapped in my home since i'm on the computer all the time and I think it's time to work in another industry of exercise, physiology or nutrition in order to learn more. I'm always wanting to do something new in order to help me with my quest to become a well known sports nutritionist. Of course I would NEVER give up my work on BeginnerTriathlete.com and all the local events I speak at and places I write articles for. Just looking for more work experience.
Wed. was a new opportunity for me. My good friend kelly (who is so pregnant with baby #1 and oh so cute!) is a teacher for Anatomy at Tampa Bay tech and she asked me if I would speak to 4 of her classes about careers in the Health industry. Of course I was honored to speak and I jumped on the opportunity. After I taught a killer spin class wed morning (I think I was really excited and my spin class suffered) I made the drive to tampa (in traffic-errr) to talk to the HS students. I created a power point discussing the different careers in the health and science industry and stressed that there was so much more out in the real world than becoming doctors and nurses. I then talked about what I do and stressed how hard I have worked to get where I am today. since my work is something I've worked very hard to do (and still working hard to keep rising up) I wanted the students to remember not to ever give up. maybe that's why I like the Ironman distance-I like a challenge and proving something to myself. Even through the many times i've wanted to quit in school (especially during graduate school around the 2 week!) I always stuck out my education. I brought in my professional portfolio which is filled with articles, my resume and lots of work experience and I also let the students look at my triathlon scrapbook. Let me tell you how wide their eyes were when I told them I did the Boston Marathon...and they were in shock about the Ironman.
It was great talking to the students. I love public speaking and I didn't know how i would do speaking 4 times in a row (each class 50 minutes). I think I'd be a good teacher and it would be something I'd love to do but I'm sure I'd get bored doing the same thing all the time. I do think it is a very rewarding profession and I give credit to all the teachers out there. I am a big fan of education. The kids had great questions and I hope they realize that they can be whatever they want, so long as they work hard, stay positive and find their passions. I believe if you are passionate about what you are doing, you will be far more successful in life than if you just work for money and could care less about what you are doing.
enjoy the day!