Skip to main content

How we eat: The Sumbal's

Every day we go to bed with happy tummy's  and wake up with a body that is energized and ready to train and have a great day. We owe it all to real food that fuels our active lifestyle and keeps our immune system healthy and our brain thinking clearly. 
No matter how many legs you have in the Sumbal house, we all love real food. 

I created the plant strong meal for Karel  (see below - my entire dinner) and he finished it off with Kuřecí řízek (chicken schnitzel) and local sourdough fresh bread. Nothing like European food that brings memories from home. 

So simple yet so delicious. Frozen mixed veggies with fresh mushrooms and sliced onions sautéed in olive oil with toasted quinoa and brown rice. I can't believe my 21 year plant strong diet is gearing me up for my seventh Ironman in 32 days. Yay for real food that makes my tummy and body happy.

And for my little furry child who is not a fan of any type of dog food (we've tried so many!), even Campy got a real food dinner tonight. He loved his Trimarni creation of boiled shredded chicken breast with mixed veggies, eggs and brown rice. (if you make your dog real food - please send me a recipe because Campy is a bit picky with his food and he would rather play outside than eat doggy food)


I wanted to share part of the lecture I gave to Wesleyan University in Macon, GA last week (Thursday). I absolutely love public speaking and having the opportunity to change lifestyles.
Sadly, my camera stopped working but I hope you enjoy the first part!
To conclude the part of my talk that was not recorded (the tip on developing a healthy relationship with food and the body), I find that many people do extreme things when they let a number on the scale run or ruin their day. Sure, the scale can be used wisely but many people use it irresponsibly. For I would never put Campy on a fast, a cleanse or a juice diet if he gained 5 lbs. I would never over exercise him or restrict his diet. So if it seems absolutely ridiculous for me to hypothetically do these things to Campy if he gained 5 lbs, why would you ever put your body through such extreme measures just because you are letting a household appliance determine your "health". Create a positive relationship with food and the body and stop using words like off limit, bad, fat, guilty, ugly, disgusting, gross, horrible, cheating and instead, give your body some credit for what it allows you to do on a daily basis such as getting you up in the morning, having a productive day, crossing finishing line and enjoying your one and only life.