Skip to main content

1 day 'til Iron Girl Atlanta!!

After a day of nothing, Kate and I were excited to get our heart rates up. Of course, when you get to sleep in you can't and when you should get up, you just don't want to. Fri morning we tried to stay in bed until 7am and this morning, we looked at the clock at 7am and knew that we needed to get the coffee going.
7:30am we were on our bikes to set out for our 10 mile warm-up ride. We wanted to ride the beginning of the bike course, starting at the transition area. We went about 6 miles and we had some up and downs. Just when we finished a big climb and thought about turning around, we decided would be just go ahead and bike all 18 miles of the bike course. The street was well marked so we knew where to go without our map. The ups and downs turned into rollers which then turned into climbs. Steep ones. We are both super excited about the race tomorrow, which should be a difficult race. Don't ever underestimate an all-women's event, especially an Iron Girl race. The bike and run is all up and down and there is nothing flat for this Floridian!
I just can't wait to get out there, get into the beautiful lake and get this race started.
We did get a little lost on the course and ended up with 5 extra miles so our 10 mile ride, which turned into an 18 mile ride, turned into a 23 mile ride. Oh well, we had fun and enjoyed riding the entire course. After the ride we had a quick transition and went for a 10-min run. Again, up and then down.
We were super hungry and couldn't wait for the breakfast of champions. Oatmeal, banana, raisins, yogurt and a little PB with some pita bread. What a life.
We headed to the expo at 10:45am to pick up our packet, get our fabulous Aflac duck, get our awesome shirt and then rack our bikes after the course talk. Seduza is very happy on the rack and so is felt. I'm sure it will rain tonight so we will have very clean bikes in the morning.
I answered a lot of questions in the transition area. Some athletes remembered me from the nutrition talk at the pre-race clinic but I guess the Zipp race wheels and disk give it away that Kate and I have a feel of what we are doing (or, so we think we do :)). Well, we helped some athletes with the layout of transition and how to set up a transition. I just love all the newbies and if they can get through the scary bike ride (there are some FAST downhills) I think they will feel so good wearing an Iron Girl medal at the finish. I can't wait to see it all go down and be part of the action.
Well, just resting right now. Kate and I are lying in our super comfy hotel beds and watching movies on TBS. I have my list of to-do's by my side and I am happy i am finally being productive and answering emails. A day of "not working" is just so hard for me but I think it was well-needed.
And most of all....OUTBACK TONIGHT!!! Can't wait for my bread, salad and sweet potato! Looking forward to the race tomorrow :)

Kate looking good with her Felt



Me and Seduza...what a great team!




Kate enjoyed the hills



Hills???? In Florida we call those MOUNTAINS????



AFFFFFLLLAAAACCC (that was the duck saying that)


I love Iron Girl!



Let's get this party started!!!