Skip to main content

Uneventful

A weekend at home....alone. Friday afternoon I worked a few hours at the shop and came home to a hungry cat and many hungry fishes. I didn't sleep very well fri night but couldn't wait for a long run on sat. I had my music and as usual, I zoned out for an hour and 27 minutes. My legs were SUPER tired (heart was good) so I took out seduza for the first time in many weeks. I must say I have really enjoyed riding my road bike. I rode my run course and couldn't believe my speedometer. 11.2 miles! wow...under 8 min miles for almost a half marathon. That is what I like to see! In the back of my head I have a little section for endurance thoughts so I will store this workout back there as I await the fall when I start training for the Jacksonville Marathon.
For the start of my run I had a funny experience. I was running for about 5 min. and was about to make a turn when I saw a bunch of ducks in the middle of the road (2 lanes on both sides). I decided to run straight since cars were coming. Luckily the cars slowed and swerved around them but I was so worried that some careless driver would hit them. So, my animal-lover side came out (why I am a vegetarian) and I decided to save all 16 ducks. Here I am in my running outfit, headphones, fuel belt and visor in the middle of the road clapping at the ducks to get out of the road. I am just laughing and smiling and a line of cars have stopped to take pics of all the ducks (not me) with their cell phones. A guy on a motorcycle came and reved his engine and that got the ducks off the road but it was just the cutest thing. After the road was cleared the ducks kept walking, single file, on the sidewalk. I can't tell you how many animals i have saved (plenty of turtles) when I'm out training. Of course i think about my own safety but I don't have to think twice about saving an animal. I guess it is my motherly side but I will save anything with 2 or 4 legs...ok, I even save things that have 8 legs or slither around.
I finished my workout on sat with a 16 mile ride and worked a few hours at the Trek store in the late afternoon. I almost sold two bikes so I feel like I am getting somewhere in the bike industry :)
This morning I went out for a 50-mile ride on seduza and 2 hours and 50 min. later I am back home. It felt like I was out for a 20-mile ride. I don't think I got my heart rate up beyond 80% but the wind was not on my back, that's for sure. It was a toughy but a great solo ride.
Karel had a great weekend and he is finally feeling like he is ready to race this summer. He is really training hard to place well in the races so he can upgrade to category 1 (From cat 2) although cat 1 and 2 race together in the Pro 1,2 category. However, if you are a cat 1 rider (or pro 1 rider) you can race the National racing calendar without invitation and there are some amazing riders and teams in that series. Karel went to Lagrange, GA with a Linder teammate (Ryan) and Karel had an impressive weekend. 4th in the TT, 4th in the crit (so close to a podium finish) and 2nd in the RR!!!! FINALLY!!!!!! Karel got on the podium. I didn't get much of the details of the race (karel isn't a phone talker) but he said 3 guys were working with Karel because cat 1,2 and masters 30 all raced together (I think that is right). Karel was sprinting to the finish with another guy and the 1st place guy bumped Karel off his wheel (not literally, "cycling talk") and won the race. Karel came in 2nd after 102 miles of racing. Also, Karel won a sprint in the "win and out" race that I mentioned in the previous post so he got $100. In all, I think karel made over $200 this weekend so I would call this a successful weekend!
Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend...everywhere! I was checking results all over the world to keep up with you triathletes!