Skip to main content

I'm eating WHAT?

I think that will be the title of one of my books. Of course my first book will be tailored to sports nutrition and weight loss/management but I would love to write a book, or perhaps a cookbook, on what we are really eating....and what we should (or could) be eating.

Over the past 6-weeks I have found an even greater love for cooking from my food science course. I have my final on thurs (before I head to Atlanta to speak at the Iron Girl clinic) for my two classes before I start another 2 classes for 6-weeks. Although I would not call myself a baker, I have really enjoyed learning the science about food and how to make food. It is so easy to buy food off the shelf at the grocery store but I have now learned how to make basic foods. The same foods which come to us as a processed, packaged and boxed-up food item... that we eat almost every day. I have made bread, muffins, cakes and frozen yogurt and today I made granola bars.

If I had the money (oh, do I say that a lot!) I would make all our food. Of course it is very convenient to buy food and even for me, I feel I cook a lot. I wouldn't consider myself a baker cause I'm just not educated enough on how to make sweets more healthy. I know Karel has really enjoyed this class and every week having something new to eat but I must admit that not everything tasted that good. I just couldn't get the strength to use 1/2 cup shortening, 2 cups sugar or 8 egg yolks in the recipes. So I tried to cut out things but ultimately, I ruined the final product. However, I have learned a lot from this course and I do know how to make foods which is the most important thing of all.

My best friend Allie called me the other day and asked me to help her. She has two girls under the age of 3 and she just can't find healthy snacks. She hates that all the snack food is processed, filled with perservatives and artificial ingredients and too much sugar for the normal adult to handle. I don't blame her for being confused and upset so I am on the hunt or some healthy kid snacks. Of course, my kids will eat tofu and carrots for snacks.....hahah, yeah right! If there is one thing that I want to be known as, it is that I want to be a realistic and practical sports nutritionist. I want people to learn to prioritize food, love healthy food and want to put the best food possible in their bodies. Unfortunantly, it is hard to even find healthy food that isn't organic or costing a fortune. Karel and I aren't there yet with our income of buying all organic but we try to do the best we can to prioritize the best foods.

I think we need to see food as body fuel. The body needs good food just like a baby needs the right nutrients in order to grow. Just like a plant needs sunlight or a car needs to be fueled and cleaned in order to run properly. I don't joke around with food because I know what "bad" food will do to you if it becomes a routine to eat it everyday. Cravings, overeating, mindlessly eating, emotional changes, hormone changes, electrolyte changes, WEIGHT changes and well...you just don't feel good after you finish it. If you know me I am not afraid to eat real ice cream, have a piece of a cookie, eat pizza or eat white bread :) However, these foods are not part of my daily diet. These are accessories that aren't needed. They are nice every now and then but I enjoy prioritizing the best foods for my body so that I know exactly what I am putting into my body.

Just thought I'd post a few of my creations from my food class :)