Skip to main content

It's National Triathlon Week!!

It's National Triathlon Week!

National Triathlon Week is a nationwide USA Triathlon initiative to celebrate the sport of triathlon and all of the members of the multisport community. From June 22-28th, 2020, National Triathlon week is focused on education, celebration and participation in the multisport lifestyle, with each day having a theme. National Triathlon Week, or #TriWeek, is a celebration of triathletes and all members of the multisport community — including officials, coaches, race directors, families and friends of triathletes and so many more.


Why Tri?
Training for a triathlon adds purpose to your exercise regime. As a way to improve health, boost self-confidence, overcome a fear, stretch physical limits or be a role model, there’s no escaping the obvious of being drawn to the challenge of participating in a three-sport event.

Despite your nervous energy, excitement and curiosity, it’s normal to feel a bit overwhelmed by a new multisport endeavor. For example, you may be intimidated by all the gear used in a triathlon. Although triathlon is an equipment-heavy sport compared to running, you don’t have to break the bank just to cross the finish line. Another challenge to this multisport lifestyle is balancing training for three sports with work, family and life. By having clear expectations of the available time that you can realistically dedicate to training each day, you can build your training around your life and still achieve positive fitness adaptations. Even if you come from a great fitness/sport background, it’s important to find the best training prescription for you, within the framework of your life. By best advice is to start conservative and remain flexible. Above all, optimize your available training hours by focusing on quality over quantity. This strategy will ensure a fun, enriching and sustainable triathlon journey.

Over the next week, I'll be sharing information from my most recent book Athlete to Triathlete to help you make the most of your triathlon training journey. If you are new to the sport, returning to the sport, or consider yourself tri-curious, I am excited for you to learn more about this incredible sport, which also serves as a fantastic lifestyle.

How did I get into the sport? 
I came from a swimming background. I swam competitively throughout High School and College. During the summer of my Junior year of college, I learned about a triathlon event on a bulletin board at the local YMCA (where I was teaching spin classes). I had recently found myself enjoying cross country running (as a break from swimming in the fall) and I really enjoyed teaching spin classes. My dad bought me a Trek hybrid bike for my birthday (a few weeks before the race) and I "trained" on the bike by riding around my neighborhood. My dad came with me to the race I was so nervous, excited and scared. I had no idea what to expect. As a 20-year old, I found myself as the only person in the 18-24 age group. The triathlon was fun and challenging but I just loved the atmosphere and the people in the triathlon community. Although I was super sore and exhausted, I was instantly hooked.

After finishing my first sprint triathlon, I signed up for another sprint triathlon a month later (with a pool swim). My biking was my weakest sport and I really struggled - it was frustrating and uncomfortable. I found it incredibly difficult to run off the bike and not get tired. Although I found this second triathlon as a big struggle, I craved more. After graduating from college, I moved from Lexington, KY to Dave, Florida for graduate school. Missing the comraderie of competitive sports and craving a goal (with a finish line), I was searching for a new athletic adventure.

Within a few months, I found myself training for my first marathon (thanks to the advice of a friend at 24-hour fitness, where I was working out to stay in shape). I was a little afraid of this distance and with limited time to train due to grad school, most of my running was on the treadmill. Lucky for me, I had great time-management skills due to many years as a student-athlete. I had intented to register for the Disney marathon in 2005 but the race closed its registration before I had a chance to sign up. New to the running world, I didn't know all of the ins and outs of marathon training and racing. I signed up for the Miami Marathon and completed my first marathon in Jan 2005. Little to my knowledge, I qualified for the Boston marathon after finishing my first marathon (in a time of 3:38). I was so sore, exhausted and tired and couldn't believe what I just did with my body.


Once I realized that endurance sports were calling my name, I bought a triathlon bike (with the money I didn't have from being a poor graduate student) and after finishing the Boston Marathon in April 2006, I signed up for my first half Ironman (Disney) and full distance Ironman (IMFL) in May and November of 2006, respectively.



Although I've been in the sport for 14 years, I am still learning and I still enjoy triathlon training and racing. I've had my share of turbulant lows and setbacks but triathlon provides me much more than finish line experiences. I am not ready to give up. Most of all, I love the opportunities that triathlon has given me - the places I have traveled to, the people I have met and the love I have developed for using and moving my body.

 2019 Ironman World Championship - my 16th Ironman and 5th Ironman World Championship
(Photo: Justin Laau)

TriWeek Virtual Challenge

Check out the #TriWeek Virtual Challenge presented by TOWER 26. It's perfect for all levels of athletes, from beginner to experienced. Sign up today.