Skip to main content

6 gap gravel event recap

 

On April 28th, we participated in the inagural 6 Gap 9000 Ride Gravel Event. Whenever we participate in a first-time event, we always go in with no expectations and an understanding that things may not go smoothly. We can't say enough great things about this event. In each of our $125 registration fees we received a jersey, t-shirt, free breakfast and free lunch. The course was well marked and there was a timing system on each big climb. The aid stations were well stocked with incredible volunteers. When I stopped at the aid station around mile 41, the volunteers offered to fill up my hydration pack as I went to the port-o-potty. 

The event was held at Camp Merrill in Dahlonega, GA (~2 1/2 hours from where we live in Greenville, SC). We originally planned to stay in a hotel on Sat evening but last minute (like Friday morning around 10am) Karel decided that he wanted to gravel ride on Saturday to make a weekend of it. Luckily, our athlete Bryan was driving down on Friday from Charlotte so it worked out perfect that Bryan could pick Karel up on his way and Bryan had a two bedroom VRBO booked until Monday morning (we ended up staying in the house and cancelled our hotel room). 

Karel and Bryan rode 43 miles (4 hours) on Saturday in Dahlonega on some of the gravel course and I went for a long run (13.5 miles, 1:51) on Saturday and then made the 2 1/2 hr drive around 1pm. 

We've been a bit sad and anxious after hearing from the vet a week prior that Campy's kidneys are declining but we felt good leaving Campy with my mom for the night so that he could enjoy some quiet (cat-free) time with his grandma. 

The VRBO was on a farm and it put me in the best mood to be around Katie the donkey and all the horses. Karel made pasta for dinner and we went to bed around 9pm. I didn't sleep well and we woke up to pouring rain. 

I had been checking my Epic Weather App and although it was originally showing 90% showers for at least 2 hours, the rain chance dropped and it looked like it would be light rain for an hour or two and then we would have clear skies for the rest of the race. 

The event started at 8am and we left our place around 6:45am. We had a bit of drama leaving our place as the gate wouldn't open so we were stuck - until Karel managed to take the gate off so we could get our cars out. 

The course was very hilly and the gravel was perfect - not too chunky. There were some dirt sections that were slower but nothing compared to the Saluda mud fest that we experienced a few weeks ago. The scenery was incredible with so many waterfalls, mountain views, tree canopys and farms. I was in my element and I felt like I stayed in a mentally good place throughout the entire ride. 

To help me fuel for 91 miles, 7:24 hrs and almost 11,000 feet of elevation gain, I consumed the following: 

  • 1.5 liters in my USWE hydration pack with almost 720 calories of a new formulation from INFINIT nutrition (maltodextrin and fructose formula that is not out yet, 90g carbs per serving). 
  • 2 x 28 ounce bottles, each with 3 scoops C30 berry (90g carbs per serving)
  • 1 mini can coke
  • 1 bottle Heed at the last aid station
  • 2 bars (~420 calories total)
  • 2 packages Power Bar Chews (420 calories)
I experienced a big bonk with a few miles left to go. It was after a very technical descend after the last aid station that I stopped at and then we had a few miles of super technical up and down, muddy and rough terrain. Thankfully I had a bit of solid food left so I ate that and after around 20 minutes I felt much better. 

Karel also enjoyed the ride. He wished he was able to keep up with the front riders but he's often limited by his back. Thankfully he didn't experience any leg/hip cramping in this race which is a big deal for him as he is often limited by cramping in his hips. He rode most of the race by himself so it was a mental battle for him at times but the incredible scenery and knowing this was a great training day for his upcoming Oregon Gravel Grinder in June helped him power on until the finish line. He absolutely loved the fast long gravel downhills. He finished in 6 hours and 46 minutes and placed 14th overall. 



When I finish I told Karel that I had so much fun. I had never been so happy after a gravel event. I finished 1st overall female. Seeing that my first two gravel events were not so great (crash in the first and then DNF due to getting lost in the second), I was happy to finish this race without any issues. I even made it through a deep creek crossing without falling at the end (had to unclip to walk through starting out which made for cold wet feet starting around 20 min into the ride). The weather worked out great that we didn't have rain but just light sprinkles. It was cool in the 50's but I felt comfortable in my rain vest and arm warmers to start (I removed my arm warmers around an hour into the ride). 





Karel and I have really been enjoying our off-road adventures. As long time triathletes, the different type of adventures have kept us enjoying our training and each race gives us a different experience to learn from to apply to future races. We put together a recap of what we learned from this event and why we encourage other triathletes to seek out different events to help with longevity, mental and physical health.